Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.4 Contact Tip to Work Distance
- - By ScottF Date 01-08-2019 12:12
Hey all,

I'm having a bit of an issue with what i believe to be a glaringly omitted requirement in D1.4: 2011 (as well as D1.1 and D1.6, and other codes as well). I recently qualified a procedure using A706 rebar to A572 Grade 50 per Figure 6.5(C), the qualification passed mechanical and macro tests and we had no issues until our customer's inspector showed up.

The inspector looked through my documentation and found something he didn't like (all documents were downloaded directly from https://app.aws.org/technical/sample_forms and filled out accordingly, mind you). He said that the contact tip to work distance/electrode stickout (CTWD) isn't listed on the WPS or PQR, to which I replied that it's not listed as an essential variable in Table 6.2 nor is there a field on the documentation in which to specify it... Come to think of it, I've qualified a number of procedures and D1.1, D1.4, and D1.6 don't classify CTWD as an essential variable, in fact, the only mention of it i can find is in the D1.1: 2015 commentary:

C-4.8.1 SMAW, SAW, GMAW, GTAW, and FCAW.
Travel speed affects heat input, weld cooling rates, and weld metallurgy, which are important for the HAZ, for fracture toughness control, and for welding quenched and tempered steels. Proper selection of travel speed is also necessary to avoid incomplete fusion and slag entrapment. Electrode extension or contact tube to work distance is an important welding variable which affects the amperage as well as the transfer mode. At a set wire feed speed, using a constant voltage power source, longer electrode extensions cause the welding current to decrease. This may reduce weld penetration and heat input and cause fusion discontinuities. Shorter extension causes an increase in welding current. A variation in electrode extension may cause a spray transfer to change to globular or short circuiting modes. It is important to control electrode extension as well as other welding variables.

I know it's important and is a big player in heat input, but I would like to assert that keeping the transfer mode is more important than the near impossibility of physically measuring each welder's CTWD to within a 1/16"(insert other tolerance) for any given pass. It baffles me that AWS doesn't list it as an essential variable, the closest AWS came to it is mentioned only by inference through the following variable tables:
D1.1: 2015 Table 4.5 Item 14
D1.4: 2011 Table 6.2 Item 6
D1.6:2007 Table 4.1 Item 3.2

So the inspector is requiring me to add CTWD to my documentation even through there is no spot on the AWS form or specific requirement in clause 4.

What are your thoughts, should this be listed as an essential variable and why would AWS omit this in D1.4's (and other codes) WPS and PQR's documentation?

Thanks,
Scott
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2019 12:32
Hi ScottF,
Just thinking out loud about your questions about the CTWD...
How will you control the CTWD and maintain that tolerance consistently from welder to welder(+/- 1/16") in a large shop?
The amperage still has to stay within +/-10%, and the voltage will remain constant also with the +/-7% and for you get out of those ranges due to CTWD moving that much...I think you have other issues at that point.
Like to hear what others think....I agree that CTWD is important however, I just can't see a welder maintaining a really long CTWD without other issues...porosity, working outside of the WPS amperages, visual acceptance problems listed in Table 6.1, etc.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2019 12:50
I went to the internet for some help and found this article regarding the CTWD and it's effects....the +/-1/16" attributes to roughly 10 amps, if I'm reading the table correctly in that article. It is interesting though to see the effects on the shape of the nugget and the shape of the penetration.

https://ewi.org/gas-metal-arc-welding-basics-travel-speed-and-contact-to-work-distance-ctwd/
Parent - - By ScottF Date 01-08-2019 13:33
John,

I agree, 1/16" is uncharacteristically robotic for a large fabrication shop, and not something easily measured, I might add.

As far as the article, thank you, it's good info. I've come across a few articles similar to this but not quite put together as nicely, it addresses Ohm's law and proceeds to provide a tangible means of correlating these variables. The last chart provokes a thought experiment: If my qualifying current was 361 Amps, that gives me a range between 325 and 397 Amps; presuming the difference in current vs. CTWD is linear, that means if my CTWD starts out at 3/4" I could change the distance to between 1/2" and 1" and still be within my ±10% (346 to 384 Amps according to the chart) and still have room to increase or decrease by maybe another 1/8" in either direction for a total CTWD tolerance pushing ±3/8"! Heat input is obviously affected as noted in the last table and the nugget cross sections.

Assuming such a tolerance doesn't trigger a transfer mode change in the machine, I'm torn between adding this to my templates for consistency and ignoring the inspector since he has no grounds to specify what's not required.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2019 13:39
Don't forget to address the shielding gas as the percentage of Ar vs Co² can influence the mode of transfer.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-09-2019 02:05
Not every inspector is a welding guru. I agree the electrode extension has a significant influence on the welding current (as indicated by Ohm's Law and the fact that varying the electrode extension has a direct affect on the resistance). However, it is not an essential variable in API 1104, ASME section IX, not AWS D1.X.

Should electrode extension be included in the WPS, my opinion is "Yes", but as an inspector, I cannot require the contractor bow to my personal opinions. They are required to comply with the applicable code, but nothing more than what is required by the code or the project specification. I believe the inspector involved is overstepping his or her authority.

In parallel to this discussion is the subject of wave balance when welding with AC. The setting of the wave balance on a Syncrowave welding machine is not an essential variable per the three welding codes I've cited. As important a feature as it is, I can not force a contractor to list it on the WPS if it isn't required by the code.

Just my thoughts.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-09-2019 02:52
Thank you for your thoughts, Al.
Parent - By ScottF Date 01-09-2019 12:43
Al & John,

Thanks for helping me clear this up. I always learn something new when reading your posts.

Scott
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.4 Contact Tip to Work Distance