Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I'm new to B31.3 and I have a question about arc strikes.
- - By H8losing Date 01-11-2019 15:56
I've been unable to find any information on arc strikes in 31.3 and section IX. I know D1.1 clearly requires that arc strikes shall be ground to a smooth contour and checked to ensure soundness. I'm inspecting under 31.3 but the craft obviously has to install pipe supports. Any insight would be appreciated...
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-11-2019 17:12 Edited 01-13-2019 21:59
I'm hoping some of the others will chime in regarding the Section IX criteria, but from what I have gathered (reading postings about arc strikes) is that the code doesn't speak about it. Temporary construction aides and such have been used for decades and pipe needs to have hangers and supports. Search the forum for arc strikes and you will find many discussions...more are geared towards D1.1, but a few of them mention B31.X.

https://app.aws.org/forum/forum_search.pl?words=arc+strikes&user=&board=0&field=body&min=&max=&order=desc

Brent wrote an article awhile back about arc strikes and soundness in the AWS welding journal....hopefully he and others can help shed some light on the ASME code side of it.

Edit: I mis-spoke, Brent's article was in Inspection Trends, not the welding journal.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-12-2019 12:54
H8losing,
I am on the B31.3 committee and I have been involved in intense discussions over Arc-Strikes (as an ex-welder, ex Welding Inspector) but our discussions were related purely to arc strikes in the vicinity of temporary attachments.
Arc Strikes will be added to the acceptance criteria of B31.3 in the future, but when ? - no idea.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-14-2019 20:27
H8losing,
I use the paragraph below to incorporate arc strikes. I know its the scenic rout, but it works if you reference it on an ITP and call out arc strikes. Notice that little word we like to see. (Shall)
B31.3 2016
328.4 Preparation for Welding
328.4.1 Cleaning. Internal and external surfaces to
be thermally cut or welded shall be clean and free from
paint, oil, rust, scale, and other material that would be
detrimental to either the weld or the base metal when
heat is applied.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I'm new to B31.3 and I have a question about arc strikes.