Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / reinforcement on sheet metal
- - By pino (*) Date 06-20-2003 13:00
Just wondering if anybody knows what the maximum reinforcement on 16 ga sheet metal is under AWS D1.3. It talks about the minimum reinforcement but does not stiplulate the maximum.
Parent - - By rhoople47 (**) Date 06-20-2003 15:29
Pino; You're right it doesn't give a Max. reinforcement, just a Min., and you probably will not find one. The one thing to consider is that an excessive reinforcement will result in other rejectable discontinuities, like overlap, and time wasted puting in the extra weld. To be safe, I would suggest that you try to keep the Max. to 1/16", or your Mat. thickness in this case. Others may have a different view on this, and that is why this board is so usefull. Hope I helped, but I would like to have a clearer Def. on this myself, anyone?
Parent - By pino (*) Date 06-20-2003 15:54
Thank you very much I agree with your evaluation and with the help of another CWI level II we came to the same conclusion.

Yours in welding Pino!!!!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / reinforcement on sheet metal