Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Manganese
- - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-20-2019 14:52
We are bidding a project for a big oil company. They are giving us some criteria for welding on materials that contain Mn. Mainly using SMAW and FCAW. They are concerned about possible Parkinson's and other health concerns. My question is, does anyone on this forum know of any current studies that give current information on this issue? Possibly some exposure testing. I have found information, but it's typically dated from 2001 through 2008.  We already manage Cr (VI) when welding 2 1/4 Cr. to modified 9 Cr. and all 300 series S.S, and think that our processes and procedures for that might be a starter for this.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2019 17:28
I suspect you could contact an industrial hygienist for current information.

Al
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-21-2019 14:29
Thanks Al,
I agree and we do, but I was hoping to get actual testing data since this is the first time we have heard of this in our industry, and the industrial hygienist that has been consulting for us on Cr. (VI) Hexavalent Chrome has not heard of any clients asking for this.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-21-2019 14:49
There was a class action suite against the electrode manufacturers several years ago regarding manganese exposure. In the case of low carbon and mild carbon steel it was determined the amount of manganese was not harmful if there was proper ventilation. It is a different story with high alloy steels (greater than 2.5% manganese) and high manganese electrodes used for hard surfacing.

Al
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-21-2019 16:33
Al,
that interesting. I will check into that. I work for a very large EPC and the company we are working for is huge. They are making this a contract requirement. I will post what I find out. Thank you very much for you're help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Manganese