Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wiring a external 240 V receptical to power mig welder
- - By Aucarolina Date 01-23-2019 01:10
I have a technical question I hope someone can help me with. I have a Miller Bobcat 225G welder / Generator. It states the max I am trying to wire an external 3 prong receptacle to power a 240 Volt Lincoln Wire-Matic 250 Mig Welder. The front receptacles on the bobcat 225 states the  max 240 Volt is 30 Amps. I tapped into the screws on the back of this receptacle to power the external receptacle I have added. After setting up the Bobcat to max power and plugging in the Lincoln to the added receptacle, the welder will turn on but it will not weld or even run the wire spool. I suspect the bobcat is not putting out the max 30 amps. Do I need to make my receptacle connections elsewhere?
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 01-23-2019 15:27
What was the reason for adding a receptacle when you already had one on the Bobcat?
If the Bobcat isn't producing 30 amps, changing the wiring hookups isn't going to increase the amperage.

Griff
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-23-2019 16:01
Aucarolina,
have you checked the plug on the Bobcat with a multi meter to confirm you have the correct voltage? If you confirm you have the correct voltage then check the wiring on your new plug to confirm you wired it correctly. If that is correct, then I would check the Miller Matic to see if it is working. I agree with the other post, why couldn't you use the receptacle on the Miller Bobcat?
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 01-23-2019 19:29
Was the Bobcat's 240 single phase a four wire connection? One hot wire and one neutral wire will only produce 120 VAC and of course the third wire would be earth ground. The second hot wire and the neutral wire will produce another 120 VAC. Two hot wires will produce the 240 VAC. If this is confusing; employ an qualified electrician.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wiring a external 240 V receptical to power mig welder