Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tungsten splitting
- - By yalisan (*) Date 06-24-2003 00:18
I am trying to learn how to weld aluminum but I have noticed that my tungsten splits quite frequently or it "swells" about 1/16" beyond the tip.
The machine is setup as follows:
Linde 250 HF
coarse setting to the min possible, says 5 amp
fine adjustment to 60
argon 20 cfh
High freq to near max continous
polarity ac
tungsten 2%, size 3/16" balled to begin

Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks

O. Sanchez
Parent - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 06-24-2003 09:33
Do not use 2%Thoriated tungsten ; try the pure (100%) tungsten !!! This is the best for AC welding on GTAW.
Parent - - By rhoople47 (**) Date 06-24-2003 19:19
That's a large tungsten, how many amps you at? Pure is good but has a harder start then say, 2% Lantinated and you don't ball that up. you also have to make sure that when you grind your tungsten, that you grind it longitudinaly, and leave a very small flat on the end, and it will naturaly get a little roundness to it but thats all. I don't know what kind of tungsten you are running, but my guess is that you are pretty hot for it to split.
Parent - By sswelder Date 06-24-2003 22:22
When you sharpen your tungsten you want to go ahead and put a point on it and then blunt it. the main cause of the splitting is getting the end too hot when sharpening it. you never want it to get red hot. cool it in water during sharpening if needed. the 3\32 tungsten is ok if welding aluminum you want to use 100% not 2% thoriated like on stainless.
Parent - By yalisan (*) Date 06-24-2003 23:38
Thanks to all of you I will try all of your suggestions and get back, thanks again,

O. Sanchez
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tungsten splitting