Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Interview with United Airlines
- - By AeroAdin Date 03-24-2019 02:58
Hello,

I have an interview with United Airlines this week for a weld technician position at one of their maintanence facilities. I’m curious to know if anyone has any experience in this field and can give me some info on what to expect? What should I be studying for the written portion and what should I be practicing on for the practical?

I am an aerospace welder currently working in production on titanium engine components and this job with United would be a dream next step in my career. I’m very nervous and doing as much research as possible before my interview/test. Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-24-2019 15:23
Adin,

I was the welding instructor for UAL for many years, but that was a long time ago.  (Left in 2003)

They test and do recurrent testing in accordance with AWS D17 as you might suspect.

Back in my time all the welder testing was done at SFO in the giant turbine overhaul shop, but I know that sense the Continental merger they have moved at least some of that to the Continental Mantainence base in Houston.

The new hire practical test “used to be”  a fabrication of an an austinetic stainless steel “box” that had various CJP grooves and attaching jewelry that required argon backing.   The base metal was about .050 for that assembly. The box had instructions, but if the welder was inexperienced it was possible to go too fast and assemble the weldment without getting the last weld in.... Sort of a common sense “don’t weld yourself into a corner thing..   There were also some thick to thin fillets,,, like .040 to .125 to make sure you understood how to avoid burn-thru.

The written exam was cake.... although there were a fev very basic EB questions tossed in.  Just basic process question and symbols.

The evaluation of the test pieces was pretty subjective (I never liked that part),   Hopefully that has changed.

If you are capable of making CJP on thin stainless and aluminum, can follow basic details and symbols and understand terms and definitions it shouldn’t be overwhelming.

If your “test kit” has a cooper purge/backing box, use it every place you can.  If plain copper bar is provided, think about where you can use it as a heat sink, (thin to thick fillets)

If anything else comes to mind I’ll come back and post again.
Parent - By AeroAdin Date 03-24-2019 19:17
Lawrence,

Thank you so much for your help and reassurance.

I guess I’m pretty nervous since the last 2.5 years of welding for me has been in chamber titanium castings so this will be an interesting experience. I’m confident I can put something together but worried about the nerves hitting me especially since it’s been a few years since I’ve done stainless or aluminum. If you have any tips for me to brush up on these please let me know.

I really appreciate your response and I’m so glad I found this forum!

Thanks again,

Adin
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Interview with United Airlines