Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lanthanated vs. thoriated tungstens GTAW
- - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 06-27-2003 00:23

Ok, like there wasn't enough to worry about between fumes and burning the house down, now I discover that thorium is a radioactive element. Has anyone tried 1.5% lanthanated tungstens as a replacement? Is thorium dust (from grinding the tungsten) really that dangerous, anyway?

Thanks,
Chris
Parent - By sswelder Date 06-27-2003 01:03
to tell you the truth i dont think that the thorium dust is any more of a hazard than anything else. in case you havent heard everything is known in the state of california to cause cancer and birth defects. foreget about it
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-27-2003 01:18
a fellow coworker was telling us a story about when he worked aboard a nuclear submarine in the Navy...he said he had some sort of medical test done on him where he had to drink a solution that had a radioactive material in it (the test had something to do w/ his colon, not just one of those "experimental" military tests). soon afterward he got back on the sub and everybody who boards had to get checked for radiation exposure before the mission started. surprisingly, HE was emitting more radiation than the nuclear reactor on the sub was!

the moral of the story...if you don't breathe thorium dust all day, don't worry about it!
Parent - - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 06-30-2003 19:08

Thanks, all,

I don't think I'll let this bother me.

Chris
Parent - By AV8OR Date 07-02-2003 14:38
This comes from Diamond Ground's web site:

http://www.diamondground.com/warning.html

Thoriated Tungsten Warning

Thorium is a radio active alloy used in tungsten welding electrodes to assist in arc starting. Although companies involved in welding have been using thoriated electrodes for many years, the industry is becoming more mindful of their potential health hazards. The following are notes, warnings, and recommendations form various organizations on the use of thoriated tungsten welding electrodes

American Welding Society: "Thorium is radioactive and may present hazardous by external and internal exposure. If alternatives are technically feasible, they should be used.""...if welding is to be performed in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time or if electrode grinding dust might be ingested, special precautions relative to ventilation should be considered. The user should consult appropriate safety personnel."

Standard Manufacturer's Warning: "Thorium dioxide is a naturally occurring radioactive element. It is an alpha emitter and, as such, its primary hazard lie in inhalation of dust/fumes." "Thorium dioxide has been identified as a carcinogen by the NTP and IARC." (These quotes are from Osram Sylvania MSDS sheets).

The Welding Institute: Thorium is a radioactive element. The HSWE has recommended to factory inspectors that , where thoriated tungsten electrodes are not necessary, users should be encouraged to look for alternatives.

Cancer Assessment: Thorium dioxide has been identified as a carcinogen by the National Toxicology Program and International Agency for Research on Cancer.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lanthanated vs. thoriated tungstens GTAW