Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Process for Inconel 718
- - By mariana Date 05-01-2019 20:59
Hey!
I need to do a butt joint on Inconel 718. Metal base thickness is 0.75" and tube diameter is 4". Joint design is without backing. I dont have a welder skilled to do root pass by GTAW so I am thinking about using  STT for  root pass and GMAW-P for filler pass. Has someone experience using these processes in welding of Inconel 718?

Thanks for your help.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-01-2019 23:49
Inconel 718 has a number of special controls both before and after welding.  A precipitation hardenable super alloy that has been around a long time.  

Don’t know the purpose or service conditions of your weldment, but this alloy wants strong engineering behind both design and fabrication.  Repair also requires special heat treatments before and after welding.

STT May be an option, Lincoln may even have a waveform in their bag of tricks that may be helpful.   Inco 718 doesn’t really behave exactly like stainless from the welders point of view with GTAW and certainly not with GMAW.

If welder skill is an issue, you need to rethink your approach to get that skill by training or hiring, or consider subcontracting the work.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Process for Inconel 718