Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Qualification for PJP
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 05-10-2019 02:05
I have only ever qualified for CJP and fillet welds to various codes.  What testing/examination is required for a prequalified WPS PJP Welder Qualification Record?  Assume a D1.1 code requirement.  Are coupons bent?  Would not a PJP crack/fail automatically?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-10-2019 12:48
There is no "standard" welder qualification test for PJP. AWS has "specially devised" qualification tests that are "required". Each is depicted by the appropriate figure in Clause 4.

Once a required test is completed utilizing a CJP, why would the contractor want to administer a second qualification test consisting of a PJP coupon?

The wiggle room is to qualify a WPS for PJP that includes visual, volumetric NDE, tensile, and bend tests. Silly route to take, but it can be done.

Al
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 05-10-2019 21:55
The logic is clear, however, suppose a manufacturer only needed a PJP weld[s] for a product and either could not locate or did not want to pay sufficiently skilled help that would be able to perform reliable CPJ welds.  I get that the CJP covers the PJP, and the corollary is not true.  That is the intent of my question.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-11-2019 01:27
Then they don't have the minimum skills to meet AWS D1.1.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Qualification for PJP