Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI Insurance
- - By Marcsarcs Date 05-10-2019 13:03
I currently work for a company that was recently acquired by a major corporation. Being privately owned before I had a little more leverage to be able to perform Qualifications and Weld Testing for our customers. I am also a state certified weld test conductor. Here is my new dilemma. new employer is ok with me still performing these duties for our customers as requested but no longer wants me stamp the documents as requested by the customer. They have asked me to get my own Insurance if a customer wants my stamp and charge them separately for my stamp. everything else gets invoiced through my current employer. I have performed over 500 qualifications over the last 9 years with a strong customer base. I already have an LLC for the metal sculpture and basic welding workshops I do part time. I have requested quite a few quotes for insurance and been denied because its only part time and too risky.
The question is: Am I still considered under the umbrella of my current employer since the main work is being invoiced through them? This is just weird., but I have opportunity to charge for my stamp if requested and make some $$$$. The CWI work I do is an extra service we offer our customers. If they no longer want me doing any of it and want me to be independent then I am stuck because I still need full time employment through them. Any thoughts?
Marc
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-10-2019 13:27 Edited 05-10-2019 13:32
Your reputation is what draws those industry players to you for the CWI work.  Nothing less.

Your current employer is benefiting via your reputation.

Even while you do this CWI work and state test conductor work, you are representing them. Your excellence is their excellence.  Again nothing less.

That they would not either cover you outright or at least increase your compensation to match whatever insurance would be required is really insulting and greedy, if I understand the situation.

Your employer does not own your stamp Bro !   They have zero say about where it goes.

Again... I’ve said it 1000 times::::  Generate Welder Performance Qualification Test Reports that have signature/stamp blocks for the specific work being performed.   Have a separate signature block the the “Authorizing” authority.

Meaning, you stamp off for what you witnessed,,, welding, visuals, bends, RT, UT,,,whatever.... Let the Manufacturer place the authorizing signature!!!!   That is where the liability is that your cheapskate Bosses are sniveling about anyhow.

Why would a CWI or Test Conductor want to authorize a guy to do production as a 3rd party!?!?!?

Just sign and stamp for your work.

Most customers see the sense in this format at once.... “Don’t use the word “liability”... Just say “This Box is for Management.... Managers love that ****.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-10-2019 14:34
Lawrence,
Just had a quick follow up question. What if the company paid for the employee to get their CWI? Do you think that changes anything?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-11-2019 15:06
Not really Jim.

Employers can insist on an employee agreeing only to work for them (exclusivity) which is totally reasonable.   But that is not the case here it seems.

These guys want our new friend to represent THEM as a test conductor, but they want him to represent himself for the responsibility.   His employer benefits from the work as I understand.. so they should compensate.

Who sent him to school, if anyone, and who paid for the exam, if anyone, has no bearing on where a CWI can and cannot work.
Parent - - By Marcsarcs Date 05-10-2019 18:11
Thank you for your input. Insulting yes. To answer your questions. I always have the customer sign off as authorized yes. Secondly, most of my customers do not have CWI's on staff or are too busy to do so if they do. Also having another set of eyes and input is great for the customer in need of help that has never has any procedures written and tested and don't know where to start. As always engineering has the final say in the governing documents. Most of the testing I do is thru a local lab too for procedures. I am sometimes just the middle man.
If I use the stamp and something goes wrong for this day forward and do not have proof the customer charged for it I will lose my job, which I like.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-11-2019 16:09
The CWI credential is issued to the individual, not the employer. The code of ethics applies to the individual, not the employer. That's why the individual is charged with a violation of the code of ethics and not the employer.

The code of ethics applies whether the individual is performing in the capacity of a CWI or other functions. The CWI is expected to perform those job functions for which he or she is properly trained and qualified to perform. The CWI can be held accountable if he/she is assigned by the employer to perform a function for which they are not properly qualified to perform. For instance; the CWI is directed to perform NDE (other than VT of welds) without the required qualification or certification. The CWI can be charged with a CoE violation if he/she performs the work even though he did it under the direction of the employer. 

Just my opinion - Al
Parent - - By Marcsarcs Date 11-12-2019 20:52
So here is another question regarding the stamp. Is it or is it not required?
Marc
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-13-2019 04:35
This from an old post:
The CWI stamp is like a new wife. At first you want to show it to everyone and stamp everything, but as time goes by you will use it less and less and finally you'll say, "Yea, I have a stamp. You really want me to stamp that paperwork?" I'm being sarcastic!

The requirement for CWI involvement is customer driven more so than being code driven. It is because of the hard earned reputation of hard working, diligent CWI's that the reputation of all CWIs are held in high regard. The CWI stamp is the CWI's signature and alerts the reader the inspection was performed by a CWI and report was written by a CWI. It is for that reason the CWI must strive to be professional in all aspects of his work. The written report is our deliverable to our client. The CWI should use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation when writing a report of his/her findings. 

The value of the stamp lies in the recognition it has with our customers. That recognition is earned by every CWI that strives to excel at their job and continues to improve their knowledge of  tasks they perform everyday. They set themselves apart from others (without the credential) by doing what right, doing what's honest, and maintaining a high level of integrity when others are willing to sell their soul for a dollar. The CWI isn't afraid to walk away from those situations that require the inspector to look the other way or to accept substandard work in order to keep their job.

In short, being a CWI is about honor, honesty, and integrity and protecting the unsuspecting public from unscrupulous contractors. It is about doing what's right everyday regardless of the assigned task. It is about accepting only those assignments for which the CWI is qualified to perform. What sets the CWI apart from other inspectors is their integrity and self respect.

It is the CWI responsibility to protect their reputation. Once the inspector's reputation is tarnished, his future as a CWI is short lived. It has been my experience that the number one reason why many CWIs have had short careers is because they let their sense of right and wrong falter. Protect your reputation and the reputation of every CWI by doing what's right in all situations at all times. Don't be afraid to take a stand, but know your ground, research the before taking a stand and choose your battles carefully. Know that your reputation is at stake every time you use that stamp and affix your signature to that document.

Good luck in your new career. It won't be easy, but it can be very rewarding to know you made a difference.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI Insurance