Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Table 4.10 in D1.1 Welder and Welding Operator Qualification
- - By SWN1158 (***) Date 05-23-2019 15:24
I'm having a discussion with a CWI about Table 4.10 in D1.1 Welder and Welding Operator Qualification.

Under the "Qualification Test" in the "Test Positions" column, the test positions 3G + 4G are shown together, but just above them, 3G and 4G are shown separately, meaning the tests would have to be taken separately. Same thing for 3F + 4F.

So, with regard to "Test Positions", how can you qualify a welder to weld in two different test positions, when the test plates can only be set in one position?

My thinking is that a welder who qualifies in 3F, would also need to qualify in 4F, which would then qualify the welder to weld "All", as noted. My thinking, with regard to the 3F + 4F is that you don't get to choose which position to take for the test when it shows 3F + 4F., and... if you choose 4F, that does not automatically qualify a welder in 3F, and vice versa.
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 05-23-2019 15:38
I would be in agreement and that is how we perform our testing, a 3G test and a 4G test to obtain qualification to weld in 'All' positions. The '3G+4G' callout in the table is specifying that that is the way (aside from doing a 6G Pipe/Tube under Clause 9 test) to gain All positions and that you don't have to test in all positions (i.e. 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G).
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-23-2019 15:46
Yup a welder will need two coupons to get qualified for all positions;  a 3G and a 4G test coupons

3G gets you F, H and V
4G gets you F and OH
Together they get you F, H, V and OH
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 05-23-2019 16:10
Thanks Adam and John. I found out that the CWI actually did vertical and overhead tests separately, but put them both on the same WQTR form, which is something that I've never seen, which brought about an interesting line of questioning from me. I think he realizes now that putting them on the same form was not a good idea.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-23-2019 17:19
I've seen that too, but if there were two tests that I evaluated,  I place each result on it's own form.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-23-2019 19:34
I combine the test reports if the tests are performed on the same day. If they are welded at two different times, each gets a separate test report. The fewer pieces of paper, the less opportunity for mistakes.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-23-2019 20:13
I don't really think it matters,  everybody has their own way of doing the same thing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Table 4.10 in D1.1 Welder and Welding Operator Qualification