Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hub on Honda 3-Wheeler rear axle
- - By thcqci (***) Date 06-30-2003 13:16
My son has a Honda 200 3-wheeler (chain drive). The wheel hub has broken loose from the rear axle. Hub appears to be a cast steel and axle is an unknown material also. Does anyone have experience repairing these? I assume it can be welded. Should I pre-heat and post-heat treat assembly (cast steel) when attempting to weld? What filler metal and process do you recommend for rewelding? Neighbor has a home quality Lincoln GMAW/FCAW welder and has made 2 attempts which have failed (I think with Lincoln Innershield, no pre- or post- heat treat). I was not there to witness process or procedure. Beside, he already knows it all about welding, you know the amateur type. Looks dirt daubed in and it is no wonder they failed. Need advise before he ruins it and it has to be replaced.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-30-2003 15:20
Is the hub (the part that the sprocket bolts to with five bolts or so) pressed onto the axle? or was it welded? I think the axle was probably hardend at the factory. Heat from welding may affect the treatment that has already been done at the factory. I don't know this, I am only guessing. I had one of those (1985 Honda 250R) many years ago and I can't remember how it all fit together. I swapped my original length axle out for a longer (wider) axle and had all that apart when I did it. Maybe the Honda dealer near you can help with identifying the materials used when those axles were machined out.
Good Luck with your project,
John Wright
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 06-30-2003 17:31
Are you talking about the flange with the wheel studs? I would suggest just buying new axles. They aren't very expensive, and aftermarket will be alot stronger than your weld repair. That is a very high stress area (obviously, since that is where it broke...)<GRIN>

Good Luck!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-30-2003 18:04
When I replaced that axle in mine years ago it was very $$ expensive $$. At least I thought so. The seals and bearings were the most expensive part. They were something like $60 bucks a peice or so then and it takes several bearings and a couple of seals(inners and outers, on each side). I think I had about five hundred bucks in replacing my rear axle about 15 years ago. Three wheeler parts are only getting more and more expensive and harder to buy parts for because they don't make em' any more. It won't hurt to try the Honda dealer or an after market to see if those parts are available any longer. If my memory serves me right, the sprocket hub was already on the axle when I got it. I gave that bike away to a friend who wanted it to get it out of my shop. I got tired of working on that thing. It cost me every time I took it out to ride.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hub on Honda 3-Wheeler rear axle