Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Grade of Welding Equipment (Standard & Precision Grade)
- - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 05-29-2019 07:42
Gents,
I need to identify which welding machine is standard grade and which ones are Precision Grade.

As i know precision grade welding equipment needs higher level accuracy than standard grade machine

Mechanized and Automatic welding equipment are Precision Grade.

Manual and Semi-automatic welding equipment - Standard Grade .

am I right?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-29-2019 11:47 Edited 05-29-2019 12:30
No,

In all my 40+ years as a professional in the welding industry I have never heard of welding equipment categorized as "Precision Grade" vs "Standard Grade"    Not in a specification, not in a journal, not in a textbook.

Did you invent these terms yourself to describe some way to make an important purchase?

Cite the source you are using to come up with this determination.

Some of the most advanced waveform and circuit board technology in the welding world can be found on manual/semi-automatic welding power supplies.

Some of the most simple and straight-forward welding power supply technology is found on the most productive robots.
Parent - - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 05-29-2019 12:15
BS 50504:2008  Validation of arc Welding Equipment Section 3.7 / 3.8 / Annex A (Accuracies for precision grade power sources)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-29-2019 12:34
I am not familiar with the EN's and British standards... But I would be willing to guess that just as the title indicates (Accuracies and Precision) are how the equipment is delineated.  

How they can be calibrated and to what standard of performance can they be calibrated.    That may or may not have anything to do with the application... Manual, Semi-automatic, Machine, Robotic, etc.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-29-2019 13:25
Nice catch Lawrence.

Al
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Grade of Welding Equipment (Standard & Precision Grade)