Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.3 Welder Performance Qualification
- - By R_Netolicky Date 06-30-2003 19:01
Are welders tested for fillet welds, flare-bevel groove welds, and flare-V groove welds, on material thickness of .125 inch qualified for thinner base material such as 12 gauge. AWS D1.3-98 paragraph 4.7.2 states in part "all welders shall be qualified by making a test weldment for each joint type to be used in construction, and for the following conditions:
(2) For minimum thickness of sheet steel in the case of fillet welds, flare-bevel groove welds, and flare-V groove welds." I have a supplier that argues that 4.7.2 (3) also applies to fillet welds, flare-bevel groove welds, and flare-V groove welds, which is in conflict with Table 4.2 which,states thickness qualified as thickness tested or thicker. He has given the qualified thickness range of .062 to .187 for welders tested on material of .125 on his Welder Performance Qualification Records.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-01-2003 17:01
First of all, 4.7.2 (2) mentions fillets, flare bevels, and flare v welds. 4.7.2(3) specifically mentions square groove welds but no other kinds of welds. And since the title of the section is "Specific Conditions" and the text addresses multiple conditions, I don't see part (2) as being the same as part (3).
So my opinion is the supplier is in error. She/He needs to qualify for fillets, flare-bevels, and flare-vees with a material equal to or thinner than the thickness of the thinnest metal to be used.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By rhoople47 (**) Date 07-07-2003 13:03
Chet; Doesn't a flair-bevel also qualify a person to a flair-V, if it's sheet to sheet? Bob, the person doing the testing is in error, The 10 ga. thing only applies to the square groove butt joint. I made that same mistake a few weeks ago. I agree with Chet on that one. Are you going sheet to sheet, or sheet to supporting structure?

Rick
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-07-2003 16:34
Rick,
You are correct about the flare-bevel. Actually, I wasn't trying to state any particular requirement, but was trying to draw attention to the need to review what Section 4 says for various conditions. I should have mentioned Table 4.1 also.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Chet
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.3 Welder Performance Qualification