Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME U-STAMP for vessels
- - By Roman P Date 06-12-2019 13:44
Dear engineers,
Please clarify to me the issue about necessity to apply ASME standard and U-stamp for vessels in USA.

We are on the BID satge for USA Customer located in Tennesse and in our scope of supply there are different type of vessels:
- atmosferic vessels with volume 50 m3;
- sand filters: it is big vessels DN 3800 mm and height 5 metters, with working pressure 4.5 bar, working temperature 55 degree (celsium), the working fluid is water. For backwashing used air.

This vessels we are designing by our company and depends from the market we can use EU / PED / ASME standard fro design and manufacturing.

So, my first question it is CLEAR undestanding which vessel can be considered as VESSEL WORKING UNDER PRESSURE in USA, with cleal indication of paramiters: working fluid, pressure, temperature, volume etc.
Having this answer I will know if I must apply ASME standard to the dedicated vessel or not. If vessel, like atmosferic, is not subject of ASME code, can I made and supply in USA using not ASME standard?

The second question it is U-stamp procedure, as I understand properly, when the manufacturer is making vessel for the thesting must be invited ASME inspector which put the U-stamp on the vessel after positiv evaluation of tests. Please confirm, if I am right.

Thank you in advance for support
Roman P
UKRAINE
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-17-2019 01:24
Oh, if it only was that simple. Not all states or Parishes, in the case of a few southern state, require the ASME stamp. You need to touch base with the client to see where the vessel will be installed and find out if that location requires an ASME U stamp. That being said, check the project specification/contract/purchase order to see if the U stamp is required by the customer.

There is more involved than simply having an Authorized Inspector inspect the vessel. You have to apply to ASME for a stamp. There are several hoops to jump through before they will issue a stamp to a fabricator. First, you have to find an insurance carrier that will insure the company. The insurance carrier will usually help you through the process (for a hefty fee). The insurance carrier will provide an Authorized Inspector to perform several tasks associated with ensuring the vessel meets ASME code requirements. Only then can the ASME U stamp and nameplate be affixed to the vessel.

Rarely can a single vessel justify the cost and time required to obtain an ASME stamp.

Good luck - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME U-STAMP for vessels