Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.3 weld cracking
- - By pino (*) Date 07-01-2003 12:59
In AWS D1.3 it states that a weld shall have no cracks when visually inspected. Does this also include crater cracks as stated in AWS D1.1.?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-01-2003 16:19
I interpret that as meaning all cracks, including crater cracks, are not allowed. Regardless of where it is located on a weld, a crack could propagate and make a small problem into a larger one.

Whether a crater crack is likely to propagate or not is a different matter. I've seen crater cracks on existing welds many years old that did not seem to cause any problem. And other welds had started to tear, so it depends on the stress path through the weld. But the best insurance is to allow no cracks at at all, as the code tells us.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By pino (*) Date 07-01-2003 16:42
I could not agree with you more but I just thaught Id ask for someone elses opinion. Thank you for your reply.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-01-2003 17:23
Pino,
I agree with CHG. Crater cracks could become a problem, then again they could just sit there and not go anywhere at all. I agree, allow no cracks at all.
John Wright
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 07-02-2003 17:50
I agree with all of the previous posts, additionaly a crater crack is a crack; therefore, it is not allowed.

One other comment I'll share that a mentor of mine gave me about cracks was, "Have you ever seen a crack get smaller all by itself?"

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-02-2003 18:57
Sean,
Cracks don't fix themselves, do they.
John Wright
Parent - By Sean (**) Date 07-03-2003 02:48
Nope, at least none that I've seen....
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.3 weld cracking