Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS qualification (PQR)
- - By gdjones Date 07-01-2003 20:19
Dear Sir/Madame:

I want to qualify an SMAW procedure to AWS D1.1 for welding partial penetration joints about 1/4" thick. We basically have 4 channels that meet at 4 corners to form a skid. We would want to square groove on the top and bottom flanges and fillet weld up the sides. To qualify the procedure can I use a 3/8" plate and how deep should the weld deposit be? Should my plate test be a square groove? How deep should the partial penetration weld be? Where can I find a how to manual?
Thanks in advance.
Gordon
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-01-2003 20:45
AWS D1.1 indicates that this would probably be a prequalified joint design. More than likely there is no need to have a WPS supported by a PQR unless some other variable besides joint design does not meet the requirements for a prequalified joint.

AWS D1.1 contains all of the requirements for qualification or prequalification of welding procedures. If you have A D1.1 available then myself and probably others would be glad to assist you with the requirements for preparing a prequalified WPS.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - - By gdjones1 Date 07-01-2003 22:03
I will be using AWS D1.6.
304 to 304 using E308.
Can you please advise?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-02-2003 00:27
Sorry,

I don't have a D1.6 available.

G Austin
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-02-2003 13:21
Gordon,
You mentioned D1.6 in the top post instead of D1.1 as mentioned for this one.
D1.6 also has provisions for prequalified WPSs, similar to D1.1. I'm just scratching the surface right now because I haven't got a lot of time at the moment. However the 1st part I turned to was section 3.15. That also points to figure 3.4 which has prequalified PJP square-groove butt joints.
You need to check other code provisions to make sure you comply with all applicable aspects, but it looks to me like you can use Fig.3.4 or 3.5 joints without qualification. If you need to prove penetration for some reason, I would weld a mock-up piece that is actual size and cross section the joints.

Chet Guilford
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS qualification (PQR)