Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS D1.1 Single Pass Fillet Weld with CVN
- - By DD Date 07-02-2019 18:17
Per item 12 of Table 4.6 of AWS D1.1-2015, a change from multipass per side to single pass per side consititutes an essential variable for WPS qualification with CVN requirements.

To qualify for single pass fillet welds, can a single pass fillet weld test with macros be performed in addition to a multipass CJP weld procedure qualified with all tests including CVN, or a qualification of a single pass CJP weld with all tests including CVN is required?

Thank you.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-04-2019 10:27
Single pass with CVN required.
The CVN results of a multi pass weld may be totally different to those of a single pass,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Eutectic (**) Date 07-22-2019 09:37
Interssting question,

I do hawever wonder how CVN is applicable to a joint that has a notch at the root......
I think form a CVN perspective if the composition and heat input is comparable then it should be trasnferrable, I have personnally never performed a CVN on a single pass.

For further evaluation of criticallity what is the material MDMT in applicaiton, what is the design conditions, cyclic or static.
I see absolutely no value in performing a CVN test on single pass and you have to end up using an emprical conversion fo ra subzise specimen.

I might be wrong......
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 07-22-2019 10:47
DD,

Is CVN a job spec requirement?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS D1.1 Single Pass Fillet Weld with CVN