Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Repair of Parent metal surface by welding
- - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 07-04-2019 19:18
Gents,
Please advise,
Can i repair (by our repair WPS) damaged parent metal surface (by applying SMAW electrode)?

it may be called a buttering? (however i know that, buttering is a weld applied to a surface, as opposed to making a joint, to obtain desired properties for fit up)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-04-2019 20:48
You have not told us the code or specification applicable..  Just that you have a WPS

You have not told us the extent of the damage in the parent material or the cause of it.

You haven't told us what the base metal is.

No advice
Parent - - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 07-05-2019 05:44
My apologize Lawrence,

You are right!!

Standard is AWS D1.1

Damage is 1 mm depth (it has appeared during rolling of plate)

Material is S355G9+M
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-07-2019 13:56
The material specifications will usually tell whether the base metal can be repaired by welding. Since you are using a European steel, that may not be the case.

AWS really has no sway in the repair of a base metal defect other than a lamination or in the case where the fabricator cut the member twice and it is still too short. In that case, a base metal repair can be made to address the excessive root opening.

The Engineer or the Owner's representative may have to be consulted to resolve the situation.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Repair of Parent metal surface by welding