Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Shear Connector WPS (Welding Through Metaldeck)
- - By ing.jorgep Date 07-04-2019 19:20
AWS D1.1 Chapter 7 indicated that I can qualify a STUD to be welded through metaldeck

I have a Channel (t=10mm) thats is going to be welded through metaldeck, im thinking how can I qualify this welding?

should o do it as a Fillet Weld Break test with the metaldeck ? o can i use a prequalified Fillet WPS ?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-04-2019 20:51
A sketch would be helpful.

Al
Parent - - By ing.jorgep Date 07-08-2019 12:47
I attached the Welding Detail
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 07-08-2019 13:00
I don't see any studs, so I don't think Section 7 would apply. It looks like you may be attaching the decking to the top flange of the C3 x 4.1 using puddle welds. Is this correct?

D1.1 wouldn't define these C3 x 4.1 as "studs".
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-08-2019 13:44
I agree with Scott, the "C's" depicted in your sketch may provide composite action between the concrete deck and structural framing, but they are not "studs" as defined by the structural welding code. The structural welding code defines the material used to manufacture the stud, i.e., cold drawn steel with a low carbon content. Channel iron isn't cold drawn, they are made by hot rolling the steel.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-22-2020 12:52
I'm not sure how this got by me, but this is the first time for me reading this.
This is very intriguing. I'm not sure how you should proceed in testing this for a PQR.
If I understand this, you needed to weld this channel down to the structural steel after the decking has been laid. So you want the weld nugget to penetrate the decking and into the steel below.

Have you been able to move forward with this and if so, how did this testing go?
- - By ing.jorgep Date 07-08-2019 14:37
ok, so to qualify this welding I'll need to perform a pqr/wps with the condition of the channel being welded through the metaldeck

what Im not sure is how to tested, should a apply macroetch+fillet weld break or can I bend it (like and Stud) ?

thanks for your help (everybody)
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 07-08-2019 17:54
Rather than a lengthy post with all the details, the WPS and welder qualification requirements that address this application are all shown in AWS D1.3 Structural Welding Code - Sheet Steel.
Parent - By LToca85 (**) Date 07-09-2019 14:23
I am just extremely curious because the sketch is in Spanish lol, but would he have to qualify this weld with 2 WPS? One with a lap joint for sheet to supporting structural member, and another for arc seam weld sheet to structural member?
- By 803056 (*****) Date 01-27-2020 15:16
When in doubt, ask the Engineer for clarification. The Engineer is the arbitrator when it comes to specific project requirements that may not be specifically addressed by the code.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Shear Connector WPS (Welding Through Metaldeck)