Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How do I price this job?
- - By BMoore46 Date 07-25-2019 07:30
I’m trying to figure out how much to charge per hour for a particular job. Under normal conditions I charge 85hr plus materials.
    I work for myself  and have been asked to do some contract work for a company that does Heavy lifting and demo as well. I’ve got a 2013 miller big blue 400 eco pro.
1) I will be 200 feet in the air.
2) I will be gouging with my machine probably nothing over 300amps is what I guess.

They have offered to supply rods and diesel. And offered to buy the gouging setup as well.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter if people are good or not in business, but these are some solid hardworking people that I want to build a working relationship with. So that I can get ahead.

What’s the sweet spot where both parties receive a fiscally beneficial deal? Gouging if not done correctly will hurt ur machine. A 200 ft fall would suck cause I’m allergic to gravity.
If I’m charging 85 an hr normally I’m thinking I need to be around 130-140hr I think. My machine will reduce the labor costs for them so I know there’s money on the table and I don’t want to leave it behind.

If you have experience with this I’d appreciate some incite or general advice on how to go about this process. They’ve been very open and honest with me I’m wondering if I sit down with them and work something out rather than throwing a number at them only to piss them off. For all intents and purposes I could give two ****s who’s feelings I hurt but if done correctly could this deal could put my company and I on the map.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2019 13:30
Check your insurance to verify they will cover the work.

Al
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-28-2019 02:36
200 feet of lead gouging is going to put your welding machine to it's limits- rentals are cheaper than replacing yours.  If they're being that nice to you it's because A] they want your cheapest price or B] they really want an employee who will work for even less.  If you need to ask pricing questions on this forum you are late for class, this is not a business forum it is a code welding forum.  The business forum is over at the School of Opportunity and Hard Knocks and they are only available to answer questions the 3rd Tuesday of the month, when available, which they aren't usually  and when they are they are usually wrong about anything they tell you.

How much do you want to make a week? Month? Year?  Do the arithmetic, and if you're worth it, and you know it, then that's what you charge.  Business is more about ethical profit than it is about friendships. 

And yeah, make sure your insurance is up to snuff , covers your ass, covers the work you plan to be doing and don't sweat losing the work because you're too expensive.  How many maniacs you think they're going to find for that kind of gig?  Not me, you can bet your ass.

Too bad Cummins Guy ain't around he used to do this kind of stuff.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How do I price this job?