Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What to do with my syncrowave 300
- - By Dt38k Date 07-28-2019 07:36
Tonight I was searching for information regarding high frequency intensity and came across several posts on this site
Larry and Henry seemed to have the most input on several posts and I am sad to find out that Henry is no longer here
I was looking forward to speaking with him on general knowledge of my subject manner among other topics, so I asked to join
That had to be a sad day for all of you that knew him
Onto my situation, I have owned this machine for close to 20 years and it developed an issue on the high frequency side shortly after I purchased it
It has sat in the corner most of the time here until a couple of weeks ago, and I am determined to get it working correctly
I do not know the serial number but a good share of the parts have tags starting with the letters JD
When the machine is first turned on, I can set the HF to start and weld dc for about 20 minutes before the HF arc begins to become weaker and finally goes away
The CR1 and CR 2 relays points were rather cooked, so I purchased a replacement for the CR2 and bought a new Midtex relay for the points to rebuild the old one since this relay is no longer available
This machine has had countless issues with these two relays for years, and the Internet is flooded with posts regarding HF issues
As I was in the process of changing the points, I noticed an amount of silver looking dust on my fingers
Looking closer to see where this was coming from, I noticed two areas on the boards inside this voltage sensing relay that had dark spots
The material that was used to make the circuitry, was actually missing in these two areas and a good share of the remaining runs were rubbing off onto my fingers
I figured I had nothing to loose now, so using a magnifying lens I was able to see the paths and using copper foil adhesive backed tape, I rebuilt the missing runs and ran solder over ever run
I searched for a schematic with no luck, but each matching set of contacts do have resistance
I had narrowed the problem down to being the HF transformer or the HF capacitors before coming across this issue
I just pulled the copper straps off the capacitors tonight and all three have zero capacity
These list for around 180.00 each and that might not be a total fix, so I went searching for capacitors
I found a person on eBay that designs and builds a HF conversion unit for stick welders for under 100 dollars that uses only one capacitor and one set of points with new components
He has looked at the schematics for my machine and guarantees that his unit will work with the intensity pot and connect to the primary and secondary leads of the transformer, which he claims would not interfere with the circuitry
I’m also digging in my stash of capacitors hoping to find something that might be even better than the .002uf 5,000 vdc units it came with
Any comments would be appreciated and I also have an inverter mig welder from a robotic station that had pulse and a water cooled stinger for parts
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-29-2019 17:08
There is a poster here who still from time to time visits.. Mr. 357Max    He has given the best advice around here when it come to getting under the hood.

That power supply was always fragile.... The 250 was bulletproof.

You are already doing stuff above and beyond the call of duty.

Probably useless finding old units to cannibalize because the guts seem to be decomposing, so other similar vintage boxes are prolly the same.

Good luck and be safe with those capacitors.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 07-30-2019 17:55
The ballad "Know when to hold them and when to fold them" applies to this situation. You are trying to put a $100 dollar saddle on a $10 dollar horse. You may find a used & functional Syncrowave 300 for around a couple hundred bucks. A lot cheaper than fix and try a different part. If you are set  on making this one work; Check a machine/distributor service center who may have a stash of used parts versus paying for new.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-30-2019 19:26
There you are  :)
Parent - By Dt38k Date 08-01-2019 05:33
Thanks to all that replied
There used to be a local service center, I’ll have to check to see if they are still in business
I understand this unit to most is a 10 dollar horse, there is a glue factory on the east side of town
If I was still working making the big bucks, I would probably have bought a 210 dynasty by now, but retirement has its limits on funds
I mainly use a mig welder for the fabricating that takes place here, but there are times where the tig would be a better choice for certain jobs
Good day to all
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What to do with my syncrowave 300