Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.6 Stainless (Type 304 to 304)
- By SWN1158 (***) Date 07-29-2019 21:20
In D1.1, Figure 4.25 "Fillet Weld Break and Macroetch Test Plate - Welder or Welding Operator Qualification - Option 1 clearly shows a minimum test plate thickness of 1/2".

A similar detail (Figure 4.5) is shown in D1.6, but this detail is for "PQR Fillet Weld Specimens", and no thickness is shown on the detail. Just below this detail, there's a table that shows the weld size and thicknesses of the two plates, but again, this is for PQR's.

I'm looking for the plate thickness that's required in D1.6 for the welder performance qualification test for fillet welds. From what I'm seeing, test plate thickness is not so much an issue with welder qualification in D1.6 as it is with a PQR or WPS.

In D1.6, Clause 4, Part B; Performance Qualification Requirements for Welders and Welding Operators, 4.7.6 Joint Details states "Performance qualification test on plate, pipe or tubing shall be in accordance with the joint details prescribed in the WPS."

So, are fillet weld qualification test plate thicknesses based on a thickness shown on the WPS that the welder uses to take the test? I would think that plate thickness would only apply to groove welds, as indicated in Table 4.3 Performance Qualification - Thickness Limits and Test Specimens. These groove weld tests also qualify fillet welds.

It's been years since I've used D1.6. All I want to do is set up a simple fillet weld test to qualify welders on 304 to 304. I'm more confused than a blind lesbian in a fish market. What am I missing?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS D1.6 Stainless (Type 304 to 304)