Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Maximum Storage Time In Oven
- - By bosruten (*) Date 08-08-2019 21:18
I'm wondering how long consumable can be stored in a warming oven. I've read three(3) years but that is from manufacturers recommendations. I can't find anything in codes.

We have an oven filled with alloy's but no idea how long it's been there. I do have certs but, it's hard to tell looking at the coatings if it's going to produce sound welds.

Any thoughts here?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-08-2019 22:39
I would contact the place where they were purchased, or the electrode manufacturer and get a letter from them stating the electrodes have a shelf life of X. If they are not willing,  then toss them or don't use them on code work. Personally,  I don't see any issue with using them as long as they have been stored correctly.....but try getting that across to an auditor.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 08-11-2019 11:35 Edited 08-12-2019 17:06
bosruten,
My thinking is "if in doubt throw them out" and replace them. I would recommend that you amend your filler metal control procedure to include shelf life for heated electrodes.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-11-2019 13:45
Lacking direction or advice from the manufacturer, I would discard an covered electrode that exhibited flux degradation that could be seen. What kind of degradation? White "dust" on the covering, cracks in the covering, flaking, missing or damaged coverings, rust or evidence of corrosion on the exposed ends, etc.

I've seen sealed metal cans of electrodes that were several years old show evidence of degradation. I've also seen sealed metal cans that were several years old in perfect shape when the cans were opened.

If I suspect there is a problem, run a simple fillet break test. The results of the test will probably provide a quick answer as to the condition of the flux covering.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Maximum Storage Time In Oven