My doubt is,1) is it possible to combine the above WPS to make GTAW &
SMAW combination.?
If possible wats thickness range.?
Parent - - By aravindkm002 (*) Date 08-30-2019 10:37
Pl tell me para which restricts this
According to QW200.4(a) and (b)
(b) For GTAW, SMAW, GMAW, PAW, and SAW,
or combinations of these processes, a PQR for a process
recording a test coupon that was at least 1⁄2 in. (13 mm)
thick may be combined with one or more other PQRs
recording another welding process and any greater base
metal thickness.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-30-2019 14:56
In general terms, if the contractor qualifies the WPS in accordance with Section IX, the WPSs can be combined or separated.

For example: the contractor qualified an open root grooved plate that is 3/8-inch thick using E6010. They also qualified an open root grooved plate that is 1-inch thick using E7018. Now there is a production requirement to weld open root pipe that is 3/8-inch wall, but they would prefer to weld the root with E6010 and complete the joint using E7018. That would be permitted, both WPSs used on a single joint. The WPS used for production would be written to include E6010 for the root and all remaining weld to be deposited using E7018. The WPS would be supported by the two existing PQRs.

Another example: The contractor qualifies a procedure on a 1 1/2-inch thick double groove plate. The root is deposited with GTAW and measures 3/16-inch thick. One side is completed using E7018 and the deposited weld measures 1/2-inch thick. The other side is deposited with E71T-1C and measures 13/16-inch thick. The contractor can write several WPSs based on the one PQR. He can has a separate WPS for GTAW up to 3/8-inch, a WPS for E7018 up to 1-inch, and a third WPS for FCAW up to 8-inches thick. He can write a WPS for the combination of GTAW and SMAW, for GTAW and FCAW, or SMAW and FCAW.

In the last example the plate thickness was 1 1/2-inches thick. The PQR has to record the thickness deposited with each process. The plate could be welded by one welder or three different welders.

I hope that helps.

Al
Parent - - By aravindkm002 (*) Date 08-30-2019 15:44
Thank you AI
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-01-2019 12:23
I think you have your response on another forum - no point my repeating it on here.
Parent - - By 619822 Date 09-21-2019 10:23
QW 200,4 (b) says at least 13 mm, it means minimum 13 mm is required to combine two Pqr's. the query says the thickness is only 12.7. then it should not be able to combine the two Pqr's.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-21-2019 15:14
"Alternatively, qualification of WPSs for root deposits only may be made in accordance with QW-200.4(b)."

200.4 (a) doesn't impose the 1/2-inch test thickness restriction and lists b) as an alternative, but not a mandatory requirement from what I'm reading.

Granted, I have the 2004 edition on my computer, so it is possible there has been a change in the exact wording in later editions. If you are using a later edition of Section IX, check the text in 200.4 a) to see if the word "may" has been changed to "shall".

Shane, I didn't see your other response. Can you direct me to it?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-23-2019 00:40
You can combine the PQRS to make one WPS. The 14.22mm thickness limit for "T" and "t" still apply so the WPS that could be written would have to limit the base metal thickness to 14.22mm if any GTAW was used.

Another way to think of it is like this. If you were to use each individual WPS on one joint, then the WPS must be valid for the joint. QW200.4 provides an exception to this but only if the PQR was tested on material 1/2" or 13mm thick.
Parent - - By 619822 Date 09-23-2019 11:02
What I understood is that the code allows to use multiple WPS backed by a PQR having single Processe(s) as Per 200.4(a), here there is no restriction on the thickness of the test coupon either for the root process or the subsequent process.This will require 2 WPS for each joint minimum. in case of Impact requirements, the number will go even higher as the thickness limitations as per B31.3 will apply. this will make WELDING too complex for the welder who is supposed to refer the WPS and weld accordingly.
So, Code allows an easy solution to this by allowing to combine 2 or more PQRs which are used in a joint which can be by different processes. only if one condition is fulfilled, The PQR used for the Proposed root welding of this Joint should be qualified using a test coupon of thickness 13 mm.

QW-200.4 Combination of Welding Procedures.
(b) As an alternative to (a) , when making root deposits only using GTAW, SMAW, GMAW, PAW, LBW, LLBW, and SAW, or combinations of these processes, a PQR for a process recording a test coupon that was at least 1/2 in. (13 mm) thick may be combined with one or more other PQRs recording another welding process and any greater base metal thickness. In this case, the process recorded on the first PQR may be used to deposit the root layers using the process(es) recorded on that PQR up to 2t (for shortcircuiting type of GMAW, see QW-404.32) in thickness on
base metal of the maximum thickness qualified by the other PQR(s) used to support the WPS. The requirements of Note (1 ) of Tables QW-451 .1 and QW-451 .2 shall apply.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-24-2019 11:09 Edited 09-24-2019 11:23
The condition of 13mm is only required when the base metal thickness of the production weld exceeds the qualified range of the WPS used for the root pass.

If a WPS for a root pass process were qualified on 10MM material, using that WPS in production by itself or in conjuction with another WPS would be limited to 20mm.

If that same WPS were qualified on 13mm material, then if that WPS were used with another WPS on a production joint that was 100mm thick, the process for the root pass would be qualified.

To combine 2 wps's in a joint or to have a WPS supported by 2 pqrs does not require 13mm of thickness for a pqr.

QW 200.4 must be looked at in its context.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Combining WPS