Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / EN 1090 and Weld Log
- - By Stephen84 Date 09-24-2019 16:34
Hello!
Work in Europe according to EN standards but hope is burning that smart people here can advice...
I'm having a dispute between manager, welding engineer and customer which concerns traceability of welds and filling out weld log with 100% traceability.
Manager states that according EN 1090-2 EXC3 marked on drawings means that each weld should be identified with welder's ID, welding date, WPS, etc. On my humble opinion EN 1090 states that there must be full traceability of steel (may be also welding wire lot) for each item and identifying them with certificates numbers, heat number, not each weld.
Firstly our customer required traceability of non destructive tested welds and there was no problem to fill in table with 20 welds, write their length and put there welder’s names weld it with dates. But after customer’s supervisor heard our manager opinion about 100% traceability he requires now 100% traceability of welds.
Is there some EN (1090 or 3834) standard which states that Weld Log with traceability and identifying welds with dates and welders is necessary?
I’m at a loss… Actually don’t really want to make Weld Log for 8000 welds… but not sure how to substantiate my opinion with a standard.

P.S. Sorry for my English :) it’s not my native language and practice rarely.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-24-2019 18:28
Welcome Stephen:

I have no experience with the EN standards. That being said, traceability may be limited to the base metal only or it can be extended from cradle to grave.

Some of my projects use a weld map to keep trace of the materials used, joint type, WPS, filler metal, dates of, who fitted the joint, who tack welded the joint, who welded the joint, class of weld and acceptance class, the test method, the NDE procedure, who inspected it, whether it was accepted or not, and if necessary; the repairs and reinspection.

Some small projects only need evidence the correct material was ordered, no CMTRs required. The job might require the welder to apply an identifying stamp adjacent to the weld.

The extent of the documentation is either as per the QC/QA manual or as agreed to by the contractor and the Owner.

I have personally inspected and recorded the test results for over 10,000 fillet welds on one project. of those welds inspected nearly 90% needed to be repaired.

I don't know that my response is of any solace, but it gave me a chance to say hello.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / EN 1090 and Weld Log