Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1-2015 Welder Qualifications Question
- - By BobbyB Date 09-27-2019 13:40
Good afternoon all,

I just joined the forum and have very little experience in welding other than some backyard farm welding.  I am the Quality Director that oversees ISO/API Quality Management Requirements.  My company is looking to send our Pressure Control Equipment and control skids to the middle east.  A company is requiring that our skids meet DVNGL Requirements, which looped me back to our AWS D1.1-2015 Standard.  I am having a hard time understanding what level of certification our welders need to hold to actually be allowed to weld the skid frames.  These are fairly basic Square Tube frames with lifting eyes and tube for forklift forks to lift as well.  I don't quite understand how to read Table 9.13 (pg 286) of D1.1-2015 as I am not sure what all the different kinds of welds are.  Would my companies welders need to be 6G certified to be in compliance with this standard? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Skid are all pretty similar to the below link if that helps any.  Thank you for your time.

http://builtbyfhe.com/15k_grease_injection.html
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2019 14:49
I am glad you included an example of a typical skid you are building. There is no easy answer to your question because it depends on the specific connection details your designers are specifying.

If the tube to tube connections consist of grooves that are CJP, the welders would have to qualify using a TK or Y test. It seems that even if the welds are specified as PJP, the TY or K test applies. Now comes the tricky part. The code section on tubular joints is based on research on tubular structures used for offshore drilling platforms. That is overkill for most applications that involve small tubular frames.

The easy out is to eliminate the tube to tube connections. Use flare bevel grooves to transmit the loads from one tube to the next through the plate gussets. The ends of the tubes can be sealed with plate to "seal" out weather, but eliminate the tube to tube connections. Problem solved.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1-2015 Welder Qualifications Question