Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Does Table 4.5 apply to Section 9, pipe qualification?
- - By vick Date 10-04-2019 00:03 Edited 10-04-2019 00:07
Through the verbiage in section 9, I see Tbl 4.6 applies to Section 9 WPS qualification when there are Charpy requirements.  I have not found a reference that would allow Tbl 4.5 be used for Section 9 WPS qualification for pipe welding.  Can anyone provide insight?  It seems odd that there wouldn't be some allowance for essential variables to deviate slightly from PQR's.  Table 4.5 definitely references Section 9. Thanks for any help!
Parent - - By Steelslinger (**) Date 10-07-2019 20:24
As Clause 9 states in its first paragraph, it is a supplement to Clauses 1-8. Clause 9 supplements considerations unique to tubular connections that should be used in conjunction with the relevant Clauses. (i.e. if Clause 9 does not specify a supplemented requirement, you revert to the standard requirement in the relevant Clause. If Clause 9 does specify a supplemented requirement then you use that instead.)

In qualifying our procedures for tube, we still utilized the requirements of Clause 4, with the Tube specific requirements out of Clause 9. Which means that you would still use Table 4.6 (where CVN is called for in contract docs) and use Table 4.5 (when no CVN is called out) and just substitute Clause 9 changes were specified.
Parent - By vick Date 10-07-2019 21:07
Thanks much!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Does Table 4.5 apply to Section 9, pipe qualification?