Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / I want to share an interesting information for you
- - By Celena Date 10-05-2019 03:35
Just curious if Downhill Gtaw is a Qualifiable weld?  A co worker runs his beads downhill (to save time), I don't have access to (#.#) aluminum code or (#.#) railroad code.   I told him I didn't think it was a qualified weld process, and he got pretty upset after I mentioned it and started to look in our "Welding procedures book"   it didn't have the direction of travel on the WPS.  its a 3/16 V weld on 1/8"

Unless its mig welding, ive neverbeen a fan of welding downhill.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-05-2019 14:07 Edited 10-05-2019 14:10
If the WPS doesn't list the vertical progression, the WPS isn't valid for the vertical position.

Most welding standards (ASME is an exception) will allow vertical uphill or downhill progression, but only the direction of progression that was used when the WPS was qualified. And then, for all welding standards, only if the welder passed the qualification test using uphill progression if that's what is used for production and downhill progression if the welder passed using downhill progression when taking the qualification test.

Bottom line; regardless of the welding process, the welder has to demonstrate the skill needed to weld uphill or downhill if that progression to be used for production welding.

Second edit; forget everything I just wrote if you are welding to the Farm Code, in which case your coworker is good to go. All is fair game until the weld breaks, in which case, just weld it again.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / I want to share an interesting information for you