Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Aquatic or Underwater Welding Training
- - By waynebob Date 07-12-2003 19:43
My 17 year-old son (entering as a HS senior this year) is very interested in starting a career in aquatic or underwater welding. He has done SCUBA (which he loves) and has done two years of high school welding, shop etc. (which he also loves). He is an average studuent with just under a 3.0 GPA. He is on the swim and water polo teams, and does quite well in those sports.

Since I know nothing about this field, I would be interested in talking to others that do. How best to get started? Where are the best schools? Advice about training, education, certification, etc.? Trade scools vs. academic schools? We live in Modesto, California, but he is willing and able to travel anywhere (abroad or within USA). What should he avoid? What should he start doing his last year in school to prepare? He has looked into the military route and taken the initial Navy exams. Is this a good option? We can afford most any type of school (well, within reason). Any and all advice would be welcomed. Thanks for your consideration.
Wayne BOB
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 07-12-2003 20:31
Wayne:
Contact the College of Oceaneering here in Los Angeles (acutally the Port of L.A.) Many welders, divers, inspectors and NDT technicians have gone through training at this facility. They'll send you a video with more info when you get to the site.
Not sure if it is the closest to Modesto, but it is a very good educational center and would (could) be ideal for your Son.

Good Luck.

Click the link below for info:

http://pipeline.nu.edu/coo/oceans/coo7.html
Parent - By waynebob Date 07-13-2003 16:43
Thank you very much for the information. I appreciate the help. Good luck to you as well.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 07-13-2003 11:47
I went to the College of Oceaneering back in 1996, took the WeldSpec course and was happy with it. After school, got a job at a dive company and started underwater welding three months later. I've done a lot of underwater welding, and have been an instructor for it for in house training for 4 years. You won't work solely on wet welding jobs, there's only a few a year, the rest of the time you'll be a construction diver. I'll answer any questions that you have if you want to e-mail me, cwelch5215@aol.com, if I don't answer right away it's because I'm offshore. Good luck

Charles Welch
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-14-2003 12:56
I hope that nobody misunderstands me but, you mentioned that your son has taken his initial US NAVY exams? Well, I could'nt think of a better place!!! Remember, you asked for an opinion and, being an "old sea dog" myself (maybe a little biased?) or "squid" to you "leathernecks". I'd have to say that ultimately, your son has to decide whether or not he'll be able to put up with enlisting as opposed to going to the school that was suggested. A US Navy Salvage Diver sure gets the best training in the world in my book! Not to mention the US Navy's C1 Welding School as being the best also... Besides look at the benefits!!!

Free training. Free meals(Navy chow is darn good compared to MRE's!!!). Free room and board. Free travel. Free education!!! (No, I'm not a recruiter but, yeah, I have to admit that I'm a little biased.)
Finally, Money for continuation of his education after he leaves the NAVY!!! I almost forgot about the G.I. bill and veteran's benefits!!!

Now, You and your son can figure it out by yourselves so I guess it comes down to whether or not your son has the patience to stick it out and the discipline to "suck it up" or he wants to gain those two virtues.
If he does'nt want to commit to alot of time and effort then I suggest that he should look into these schools. Some of these schools have ex-navy salvage divers as instructors so, please!!! I'm not saying that these schools are'nt good, no!!!

The United States Navy will help him increase his G.P.A. making him a better candidate for the top universities in the land so, that's another factor to consider. Just the mere fact that he served will give him not only college credit but, also look better in the eyes of the people that decide whether or not he shall be accepted to the top universities regardless of his G.P.A. Whetever you and your son decide I'm sure will be a good choice!!! Your Son Sounds Like a WINNER!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-14-2003 14:38
When I joined the US Navy back in 1987, I explored the option of going through underwater welding training. I found that first you have to endure the "Dive" training prior to getting into welding. The "Dive" training is essentially SEAL training.
This training is much more than just learning to be an underwater welder. It's about pushing your physical and mental abilities 200% beyond normal human capacity, demolitions, weapons, and a potential over-dose of military brainwashing.
There is a good chance the program has changed since then.
I suggest that before making such a severe, life altering decision, you and your son research ALL of the pertinent information.
Good Luck!
Tim Gary
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-15-2003 06:33
Hello Tim.

I joined in 1975, have no regrets, and would do it again if I could!!!

I respectfully disagree with your comment that Dive training is essentially SEAL training. There may have been a misunderstanding as to what I was trying to convey in my reply to this post.

I'll begin by saying that I got the impression that the individual was inquiring about options available regarding "training to start a CAREER in Aquatic or underwater welding."

A United States Navy Salvage Diver does not go through SEAL training!!!
Think about it for a minute by asking yourself: "what does a Navy Salvage diver do?"

I can tell you personally that they do not perform the same duties that a United States Navy SEAL does!!! I do not mean to say this to you in a demeaning or disrespectful manner of tone. No sir!!!

Some of the training is similar as far as ordinance, demolition, etc.
However, "salvage" training includes alot more than just underwater welding and cutting, and if you think about it, some of our "brains" needed some "washing" anyway!

I believe this youngster can be a fine candidate based on his past achievements. What it comes down to is whether or not the youngster wants to commit himself to long term training where I agree, requires him to go beyond his limits of physical, and mental capacity.

From the "surface" there are similarities in Salvage Diver and SEAL(BUDS) training. However, it is'nt hard to distinguish the differences especially in the inherent dangers that are found in both. It's when you go below the "surface" that can notice the differences in training.

I also agree with you on the suggestions you made about researching ALL of the pertinent information because, I heard from alot of people that joined, only to find out that the type of training they were initially seeking, turned out to be "unavailable" for them. So, "do'nt sign your life away without documentation stating specifically the career path you're seeking!!! If you do, the time spent during your enlistment will seem to feel never-ending!!!

Respectfully,

Parent - - By lawdog5956 Date 10-03-2003 21:39
Hello ssbn727,
I am currently in the Navy. I wanted to come in and get trained in underwater welding. I have some experience in welding. Growing up on a ranch. The recruiter told me I would have to be a master diver, get a seat in the welding school that is very small and rare. Then maybe I could do it. "if all the moons are aligned" if I remember right was what he said. How difficult is the process. I have no doubts about my abilities or my mentality for completing the schools. Just the chance.I am debating whether or not to get out. I want to pursue a career in welding. I would like to have my own shop one day. Build race vehicle frames and custom motorcycles. I still think about underwater welding alot. I am wondering if you can give me some info about the Navy's program. It just might be the ticket I need to stay in. I have a few passions in life. Motorcycles, working with metal, and the water. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
HM3(FMF/SW) L.R.G.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-05-2003 08:52
Hello Lawdog5956!!!
Welcome to the AWS Forum!!!
It's been a long time since I was "in the salt" - so to speak so, I really could'nt give you any current info about today's USN programs...
I will however contact a few of my friends that are more familiar with the current programs that the USN have to offer...
When I get info from them, I'll contact you via e-mail!!!
In the meantime, I would suggest for you to be more persistent in attempting to get into whatever welding program the USN has available only because, the training is second to none!!! If you show your persistence, and determination to the personnel that can open the doors for you, then I believe you'll be given the opportunity to prove yourself!!! Just remember a couple of important principals: NEVER GIVE UP!!! and NEVER TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!!
Is this recruiter the only person you spoke to? I ask this because, this person may not be giving it to you straight if you "catch my drift"!!!
For instance, do you know how long it takes just to become a master diver??? I mean, does'nt that sound strange that the recruiter mentioned that you had to be one beforehand???

A source for inspiration would be for you to see the movie:
"Men of Honor"...
Although, you probably already have seen it!!! It may be just what you need to help you convince whoever that you're just as determined to get into the USN salvage diving school or any of the welding programs that the USN has to offer as was the character portrayed by Cuba Gooding jr. was in the movie!!!
Anywho, I'll get back to you ASAP when I get more info...
Good Luck and stick to to those couple of principals I laid out for you!!!
LG!!! Keep showing your persistence and determination because who knows, The doors may open pretty wide after all, entiendo???

Respectfully,

P.S. Did you try getting into the welding school in San Diego?
There are a couple of other members of the forum that have gone through that program and did'nt have to be a "Master Diver" before they were accepted!!! Food for thought...
Parent - - By lawdog5956 Date 10-10-2003 11:27
Thanks for the info. I have been trying to get contacts. It is slowly progressing. Have a good day. Out!

Lawdog5956
Parent - - By robism (*) Date 10-20-2003 18:14
hey ssbn727, my current welding instructor was a sea bee in the navy, also said the welding program was second to none.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-20-2003 19:19
Hi Robism!
Thanks for reminding me of the Sea-Bees!!!
I do'nt know why I forgot about them but, now that you mentioned it,
their welding program is an excellent one also!!!
Lawdog, Waynebob, are you reading this? Thanks again Robism!!!
Good Looking Out!!! Man! is my memory fading!!!

Respectfully,

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Aquatic or Underwater Welding Training