Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Low Hydrogen
- - By smccarlson Date 10-22-2019 00:41
Hi everyone,

I am a student Mitchell Technical Institute in the Welding and Manufacturing program.

When welding with E90XX-X not furnished in a hermetically sealed container why must the electrodes be baked and for how long?

Thanks, Shyanne
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-22-2019 13:08
Since this is a school question, rather than providing you a straight up answer,  You may have some very good clues instead.

You did not mention a specific code or specification to obey, so I am going to go with AWS D1.1   Which you should have available in your class library.

See Clauses 5.3.2.1 and the associated commentary  C-5.3.2.1       These will give you some of the references and rules for electrode handling for low hydrogen SMAW.

The 90K electrode is rather uncommon for D1.1 but is covered in Group IV base metals in table 3.1 and matching electrodes in Table 3.2

You will also find good information for electrode storage and handling in  AWS A5.5/A5.5M, Specification for Low-Alloy Steel
Electrodes for Shielded Metal Arc Welding.   Your school should also have a copy of this.

The data sheets from any SMAW electrode supplier will also offer some guidance in this regard.
Parent - By smccarlson Date 10-22-2019 17:01 Edited 10-22-2019 20:12
Thank you for your response. That helped out a lot. I also have the D1.1 code book. We purchase it for school so we can learn how to interrupt the code book.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-23-2019 11:08
Kudos for turning his question into a teaching moment.
*golf claps

Tyrone
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Low Hydrogen