Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Performace Qualification; UT in liue RT is possible?
- - By Marcello (*) Date 10-22-2019 09:07
i have a doubt, is possible to qualify welders with NDT UT instead that RT?

Many Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-22-2019 12:55
Hi Marcello

If you are talking about AWS D1.1 and welder performance qualification, the answer is No.       See  4.16.1.1 Substitution of RT for Guided Bend Tests.
Parent - - By Marcello (*) Date 10-22-2019 13:04
Hi Lawrence,

I' m talking about D1.1. Yes I agree with you, but if i'am in yard and for me is impossible to make RT o Guide Bend, Are there other way to qualified the welders? Are there any interpretation about it?

Thank You in advanced.

Marcello
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-22-2019 13:19
Hi Marcello

Not a lot of wiggle room.

The "Engineer"  Capital "E"   (See 1.3.1)  Can accept external standards for performance qualification in accordance with Clause 4.2.2.1.    The commentary for this C-4.2.2.1 offers some expanded explanation.

Usually when it comes to things like this and the "Engineer" discovers they must take full responsibility and apply their own personal seal to approve an external standard or change in acceptance criteria for procedure or performance qualification,  finding a way to simply obey the code becomes possible.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Performace Qualification; UT in liue RT is possible?