Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Groove Weld Maximum Weld Size FCAW
- - By DeuceHalifax Date 10-25-2019 13:04 Edited 10-25-2019 13:25
Hello!
I'm new to the AWS and have only had about 6 months experience in using it at my current job. Something we have run into recently is an increase of weld sizes because of how high our parameters are now. I have found that for fillet welds under the GMAW/FCAW section (according to AWS D15.1 Clause 8; 8.5.2) the maximum size for a single pass for flat and vertical is 1/2", 3/8" for horizontal and 5/16" for overhead. However I can not find a maximum weld size for groove welds. Maybe I am misunderstanding 8.5.2.2 but I am trying to determine what the maximum size can be for each pass in a groove, whether that be the root, layers, or surface. I see it says other than root and surface welds they shall not exceed 1/4 inch, but what would the root and surface weld maximum be then?
Thank you!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-26-2019 22:51
The maximum thickness for root and surface passes is not addressed for prequalified WPS's for FCAW.

8.5.2.2 Gives the requirement and the exceptions. The Exceptions are not addressed elsewhere so there is no limit.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Groove Weld Maximum Weld Size FCAW