Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Root Re enforcement
- - By Skip (*) Date 07-13-2003 22:28
I realise that many codes are subject to inspectors interpretations.
Why in many cases (unless specified by a qualified engineer) do inspectors have widely based opinions on what is and what isn't acceptable pertaining to root weld convexity, or lack of. Doesn't the code spell this out clearly? I'm talking specifically on the ASME code pertaining to butt joints on pipe with SMAW or GTAW.
Many of you pipewelders know of what I speak. You go to a job and the inspector fails you on your root because it was flat or has 1/8" re enforcement.If its good enough for the code then thats all that matters. What gives?
Skip
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-13-2003 23:16
I agree that MANY inspectors often go above and beyond the requirements of the code. Sometimes that is for a reason , it may be due to lack of knowledge about what the code says, project specifications that exceed the code, or it may be a combination of things obrserved by the inspector with the easiest one to use being the root contour. As you can see by the requirements listed below in QW 194, there is much left to the interpretation of the inspector.

The last test I took the inspectors were pretty knowledgable about what was acceptable and what wasn't. I was once looked out at a paper mill in Macon Ga for 1/32" concavity and I can tell you that expaining the acceptance criteria of ASME sec IX, and Sec I does not help the situation even if you can tell him the page and paragraph. The root was pretty slick and all the welds looked good but I may have made the mistake of asking what I needed to do to get a QC job :)

Section IX indicates

QW-194 Visual Examination — Performance
Performance test coupons shall show complete joint
penetration with complete fusion of weld metal and
base metal.

Note that for Power Piping (B31.1) the reinforcement is governed by the wall thickness and operating temp for production welds. So if I am testing welders that will be making welds on material in service at 800 Deg f I would be more critical than if testing welders for say 300 Deg F piping. The key is making sure the welder knows what is acceptable before starting the test.

Also keep in mind that individual project specification may be more restrictive than the code. An example would be SS piping in a paper mill that carries pulp for paper making. You don't wan't a lot of "texture" on that root. Individual project specifications are prepared and issued with the purchase order . The information contained in these documents supplement that contained within the code as indicated in the PO. Often a purchase order or project specification will indicate an "order of precedence" to follow when a project document conflicts with another project document

Of course there is nothing in the code about how long it takes to do a test but that is often a reflection of the ability of a welder. But it is taken into account.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By brucearnold Date 07-14-2003 20:18
Gerald is very much right. Many of the inspectors are not familiar to what they are looking at and/or are not accustomed to reading the code. As an inspector, I always tried to show in the code where it says they can and cannot do something. If the inspectors are not willing to listen, the only option is to either accept it or go over their heads.

Another area you might want to look into is the Interpretations of Section 9. I have used them on many occasions to get myself out of trouble and have used them to explain my point.
Parent - By insp76 (**) Date 07-15-2003 01:47
Well Skip, I can spell it out for you in 2 different codes that I have handy now. ASME Sec. VIII /UW-35, Maximum reinforcement, there is a table in this section that gives max. reinforcement allowed based on thicknesses of base material. For example for thickneeses over 3/16" up to and including 1/2" , reinforcement up to 5/32 is acceptable and the table progresses to an acceptable reinforcement of 5/16" for thicknesses over 5".

ASME B31.3 TABLE 341.3.2 (L) , there is a table very simillar to the one above but the acceptable limits are different: For example thicknesses greater than 1/4" and less than or equal to 1/2" has an acceptable limit on reinforcement of 1/8" and the table prgresses to :thicknesses greater than 1" allow 3/16" reinforcement. Any inspector that deviates from these acceptance criterias should be challenged , unless the customer specifications state a more stringent criteria.

The main thing you need to know is what code you are welding to and what is acceptable prior to making the weld. If you ask the inspector he / she should be be able to give you a cut and dry answer on this issue, if the inspector can`t give you a strait answer, then you simply have an inspector problem.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Root Re enforcement