Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Tack Welders retest to Weld
- - By snutt Date 10-29-2019 09:29
We are a steel joist manufacturing that follows the D1.1 code. We have an area called a rigging table, which puts the joist together (attaches webbing to the chords, etc), and we also have a welding pit, which obviously welds the members together.

Our riggers take a tack weld test first, then take the D1.1 1G plate test shortly after being hired in. The riggers tack weld every day, as they are tacking the web members to the chords so the joist can be sent down to the welding pit.

My question is, if they are not in the welding pit doing actual welding for more than 6 months, do we have to retest them before they would be able to go back down to the weld pit? I know the standard says to retest if they haven’t welded in more than 6 months. I’m not sure if tack welding would be considered “welding” in that time frame?

I’ve considered adding a quick 1F test for guys that have not been in the welding pit for more than 6 months, as I believe it’s a lot more feasible to do this quickly than to do another 1G test. Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated, as we are working to rewrite our weld policy to make sure it’s as updated as possible.
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 10-29-2019 10:56
6.4.3 Retesting  Based  on  Qualification Expiration. The Inspector shall require requalification of  any  welder, welding  operator, or tack welder  who  has not used the process  (for  which they  are qualified) for  a period exceeding six months  (see 4.2.3.1).
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-29-2019 11:03
The period of effectiveness clause for tack welders is 4.2.3.2 and is pretty clear in my opinion.  A welder who passes the test described in Part C or those tests required for welder qualification shall be considered eligible to perform tack welding indefinitely in the positions and with the process for which the welder is qualified unless there is some specific reason to question the tack welder's ability. (see 4.24.2)
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-29-2019 11:13
I am sure the D1.1 guru ( Al ) will give you the " official" requirements but here are my thoughts.
Code committees put in requirements that they feel if complied with will obtain a quality product.
But the onus rests with you, the employer.
Tack welding can either stay in the finished product or be removed before final welding.
If it is removed then no problem - if it remains it needs to have been completed by a qualified welder (which you have).
The only question I would ask are the welds volumetrically tested (UT or RT) ?
If the tack welds are left in place and the weld passes UT I would consider that reason enough to prolong the tack welders original 6 months.

And be very careful with the 1F alternative - Al and I have joked about this many times.
Many, many very good welders can pass a 1G but put a 1F in front of them and it all goes to s..t !!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-30-2019 13:31
Shane and I are in pretty much in agreement on qualification. The code provides the minimum requirements that must be met. Contractors are forever trying to bend or contort the requirements to meet their specific needs.

In this case, the code does require the tack welder to pass a test to demonstrate their ability to deposit a weld with fusion to the root, without excessive inclusions, etc. Note that the weld size of the tack weld is not specified and the test consists of a fillet weld. Having worked with open web joists, it is safe to say the welds are not usually what I would call "large". Single pass fillets or flare bevel grooves seem to account for the majority of the welds deposited. The tack welds are most likely relatively small as well. It is highly unlikely the tack welds are removed before being incorporated into the production weld. I cannot fathom a situation where the welds of an open web joint is subjected to volumetric examination.

The code does not put limits on the duration of the tack weld qualification, even after a period of inactivity.

At the end of the day, the contractor is responsible for the product manufactured and sold to the consumer. Whether they go over and above the minimum required by the code or barely is a decision only they or their consumer can make.

Just a few thoughts.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Tack Welders retest to Weld