Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Who goes there...
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-03-2019 04:51
Who's still around, and what are you all doing for work these days?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-03-2019 12:15
Morning,
Been busy.....70-80 hours a week busy
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-03-2019 15:58
Good for you John.
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 11-04-2019 11:20
I’m working in QC at Master Steel, an AISC certified fabricator, in Hardeeville, SC, which is about half an hour from Hilton Head.
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 11-10-2019 02:13
Haven’t been on in years. At 34 in 2008 I started welding full time due to the economy. I had some great jobs and met some truly memorable people. Started as a hand welder in a chemical plant and topped out at $17.00 hr! Took a weld test on my ol rig truck and went to work in GA. Joined the local. Welded in power plants, Savannah River Nuclear Site and ended up with a company that does piping in pharmaceutical plants. Plus a dozen places. Nothing like filing tax returns in 5 different states. Went from hand welder to orbital welder to foreman then general foreman and finally superintendent. Couldn’t stand being responsible for other people’s mistakes and drug up. Lol. Now, at 45, I’ve taken a maintenance job in one of the pharmaceutical plants I helped build. I love it. Full time pay with a part time schedule.
I hate to hear about Henry. Glad to see you Sourdough. You went through some rough times back then. Is Shad still around? He always had some good stories. I’ll have to look around to see any names I recognize.  I want to say thank you to all of you on the forum from back then. I’ve been able to provide very well for my family when other’s couldn’t. I’ve used tips I learned from here and always tried to do the best quality work I could. That idea permeates the regulars on this forum. Truly professional people. There were times I knew the welding code better than some inspectors from being immersed in this forum years ago.
Thank you all!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-10-2019 12:24
Hitting the like button.....if we had one
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 11-10-2019 21:16
Lol. I read through the last few years in most of the sections. Sounds like the new improved forum went over real well! I guess I’m lucky to be able to return. Dodged a bullet.
Parent - - By colineddie05 Date 11-20-2019 10:33
You are totally right
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-18-2019 17:39
Well you already know where I am at bud.  Still in PA, still doing QA and still bored silly.   I need to find out where John is at and see if he needs any help!!  I could use some 70-80 hr weeks.....shop surveillance is no way to rack up hours.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-19-2019 00:01
I'm slowing down....next week I'm taking some vacation to make it an entire week off. :wink:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-18-2019 23:39
For me, more like back around than still around.

Glad to see some of the names here. 

Best wishes to all, work out there but a lot of it isn't paying like it should be.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 12-19-2019 12:08
* Hits Like button
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Who goes there...