Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Technical help please??
- - By Duncan (*) Date 07-15-2003 07:21
Hi everyone. How are you all doing? I need a little help here, hope you guys can rescue me.

I just need to know how you calculate the burn-off/melt-off rate of a welding machine using the amps/voltage settings & the wire size.

Your help will be appreciated.
Duncan.
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 07-15-2003 19:40
Hi Duncan

If you are refering to GMAW or FCAW, then your burn-off rate will be the wire feed speed setting of your machine. If your machine does not give a direct reading, you can easily measure it once you have your machine set correctly. Merely pull the trigger (without striking an arc) for around 10 or 15 seconds and measure the amount of wire that has come out.

Hope this is what you had in mind. If not, ask again.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Parent - - By Duncan (*) Date 07-16-2003 05:32
Thanx Niekie, but what I am looking for is a formula to calculate the burn-off rate using the amps/voltage settings & wire size. I have looked at a couple of welding sites, but can't find any formulae regarding welding calculations.
Parent - - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 07-16-2003 11:01
Duncan,

there's no such thing as a universal formula for calculating the burn off rate based upon current/voltage/wire !

Keep in mind that following parameters have also a major influence on the melting rate :

* type of shiekding gas ("hot" gas or "cool" gas)
* stick out of the wire !!!
* spatter (results in metal loss)
* metal transfer mode (spray arc , shortarc, ...)
* flux cored, metal cored or solid wire

But ... there's also your supplier for the consumables !!!
He should have diagrams for every wire type with the melting rate based on above parameters !!! Just simply pick a wire and look in the tables, and you have your answer !!! I know ESAB has for almost all consumables this information available for the customers.

Good luck !

Parent - - By Duncan (*) Date 07-16-2003 11:45
Wrong Tim, but thanx for your reply.

I found a formula in the "Lincoln Electric Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding."

Approx. Melt-off Rate = (Arc Voltage x Welding current) /1000 = lbs/hr.

One of our directors had the book stashed in his cupboard. It's not a very accurate calculation, but it's all I need.

Thanx for your guys' time anyway. Keep well.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-16-2003 16:39
It sounds like you already have a fairly good idea of what you were looking for. From reading through the posts, I'm not sure I do.
But anyway... I just like to caution people about using deposition rates and similar info. You may already know all this but here it is, if not for your benefit, then for the benefit of others.

Most values are in weight per hour and it is easy to forget that a person cannot weld continuously for an entire shift, unlike a machine. Even machines might not weld continuously.
I've seen a lot of people assume the deposition rate can be multiplied by hours per shift for a value representing productivity. Actual productivity is best judged by the amount of acceptable and finished welds made by the end of the shift.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 07-16-2003 19:49
Hi Duncan

I find the equation above rather odd, because the deposition rate for GMAW will remain the same irrespective of the welding voltage. Obviously the welding voltage will only be variable within a useable range, but theoretically you can vary the welding voltage by 30% and still have exactly the same deposition rate!

I also have the "Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding", but could not find your equation in it. There are however numerous graphs that equate welding current and electrode size to both wire feed speed and deposition rate. (In GMAW these are almost synonymous, because once you have selected the wire feed speed, you have automatically selected your deposition rate. The amp and volt are not an issue. Obviously with a CV power source, your amps are related to wire feed speed, so this becomes easy enough to relate to each other.)

Let me know on which page you found the equation mentioned below. It would interest me to have a closer look.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 07-17-2003 07:43
Dear Duncan,

I completely disagree with you !
Here are some figures that I've looked up :

case (1) :

* stick out (extension) 12 mm
* wire feed speed 5.8 m/min
* current 350 amps
* deposition rate 4.7 kg/hr

case (2) :

* stick out (extension) 18 mm
* current 320 amps

case (3) :

* stick out (extension) 25 mm
* current 280 amps

CONCLUSION :

By increasing the stick out, you will decrease the welding current !
The wire feed speed is in every case the same , resulting in the same deposition rate. So, in my opinion you can not calculate the deposition rate based on the welding current without taking into account the effect of the electrode extension or the wire feed speed.
But I do believe the "formula" gives you an idea of deposition rates for certain wire types as a rule of thumb.

As you see, this is rather complex. And than I'm not talking about flux cored wire or metal cored wire ... Did you also know that by changing the polarity at the same welding current you can also increase the deposition rate (due to the physics inside the welding arc) ... :-)

Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 07-17-2003 18:27
Hi Tim

What you have illustrated above is simply that the deposition rate is directly related to the wire feed speed. The rest of the information tends to cloud the issue.

I agree that it starts becoming complicated when trying to relate the deposition rate to the welding current and voltage, but in essence it is a very simple issue. The amount of wire coming out the front of the torch will be deposited. The only two variables you therefore need are the wire feed speed and wire diameter.

If however Duncan REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wants to relate the deposition rate to the welding current and voltage, his best bet is to relate it directly to the current, because there is a very close correlation between wire feed speed and current. Obviously there will be certain variations introduced, as you indicated, but he probably just needs some approximation for tender purposes or something similar.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-16-2003 12:28
The info is sometimes supplied in a ratio of #'s of wire vs #'s of deposited weld metal. Ie. FCAW, SMAW, etc. - part of the weight ends up in fume,splatter or slag to get chipped off and isn't really part of the final deposited weld material. I was looking at a wooksheet in ESAB's catalog that was to figure weld metal cost and one of the formulas was to figure Deposition Efficiency (DE= Weight of weld metal divided by weight of electrode used) ie if it takes 4#'s of wire to deposit 3#'s of weld metal the DE is 75%.
John Wright
Parent - By Dave (**) Date 07-16-2003 13:30
Duncan,

I'm sure that someone could figure out a formula for melt off rates based on amps and volts. But as amps and melt off rates are both functions of wire feed speed why bother? All that's needed is the wire diameter and speed. A simple formula to determine pounds per hour for solid steel wire is as follows where wd = wire diameter in inches and ws = wire speed in inches per minute:

pi x (wd/2)^2 x ws x 17

This should not be confused with deposition rates as there are other factors not considered; spatter, vaporization, operator factor, etc.

Dave

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Technical help please??