Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Switching to 2G
- - By snutt Date 11-15-2019 02:16 Edited 11-15-2019 02:19
Hello all,

I'm a new CWI, just getting my certification in August. I've suddenly been put into a lead role where I'm responsible for our welder qualification. We are an open web joist fabricator using the GMAW process. In the past, we have used a 1G test, as we were CWB. Since we've moved to AWS, I've found that we need to qualify our welders using a 2G test, because we weld flare bevel groove welds in the horizontal position.

When I presented this future change to our supervisors, they understood and were welcoming to the change, however, they wanted to know if we could do both the unlimited thickness and limited thickness plates with the single bevel joint designation. I know that on the unlimited thickness plate, we are allowed to do that. However, everything I'm seeing for the limited thickness plate is that it has to be the double beveled 45 angles. I've been digging into this for awhile now, am I missing anything that says we can actually use a single bevel for both thickness tests?

I know the easiest answer is if they really want the single bevel, then just have everyone do the unlimited thickness test. However, out of our 5 lines, only 1 line welds anything that wouldn't be covered by the smaller plate. So it would be unnecessary to test everyone to the unlimited thickness.

Also, if there's any other advice you would have for a new CWI tackling this, please let me know! I've read through quite a few of these forum topics, and am deeply impressed by the amount of knowledge that people are willing to share. It's definitely an awesome community!

Edit: Forgot to mention that we are using D1.1
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-15-2019 12:08
Congrats on passing your CWI.

Figure 4.21 shows a 3/8" limited thickness single bevel coupon in the 2G position.

IMHO, if you are having someone sit down and take a test, get the most out of that test...use the 1" coupon...but that is just me.
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 11-15-2019 12:31 Edited 11-15-2019 13:36
I’ve always did the same thing John, and then you don’t have to worry about a welder who may be welding on thicker material that he’s not qualified to weld. The CWI that works here has been qualifying welders on 3/8, which limits them to 3/4 max. I saw a welder the other day getting ready to weld a 1” thick production groove weld, until I stopped him. In my humble opinion, go ahead and take a little extra time to qualify for unlimited thickness. As with any groove test, my experience with failures has been in the root pass. The rest is easy.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Switching to 2G