Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWE
- - By MBlaha (***) Date 07-15-2003 16:42
Is there a test that needs to be taken to obtain CWE certification? I currently carry CWI status. In looking at the requirements, I think that all I have to do is provide a letter of recomondation from my administrator. Is this correct? I definitley have more than 5 years verifyable expierience in welding having worked as a Journeyman Boilermaker for 25 years.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 07-15-2003 16:43
Oh, bye the way, can anyone tell me the cost of obtaining CWE status.

Mike
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-21-2003 08:04
Hello Mike!
From what I read in the American Welding Society's web site(www.aws.org), in the "Certification" link, under "Certified Welding Educator Program",
under the six .pdf's, it states: If you are a current SCWI, CWI, or CAWI, and you meet the Certified Welding Educator criteria outlined below, NO testing is required for the CWE certification. Simply complete the CWE Short Form Application:

* Teach full or part-time in a classroom environment.
* Hold a valid welder certification.
* Written recommendation from your teaching supervisor attesting to your teaching qualifications and ability.

If you read some more, it explains other pertinent information regarding the CWE. Finally, more questions can be answered by calling the Certification Business Unit at (800)-443-9353 , ext. 273.

To find out how much it would cost, then click the .pdf containing the AWS price list. I noticed the amount of $305 if you're a current member, and an active CWI/CAWI, and $505 if you're not a current member.
However, I think it's best to contact the Certification Business Unit to verify the info posted in both the quoted web page, and .pdf "AWS Price List" shown in that quoted web page just in case of any changes.

I hope everything works out for you!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

P.S. I was a Journeyman Boilermaker too but, not as many years as you so, your experience will surely be invaluable when educating your students!!! Not that you really need it but, Good Luck to you!!!
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 07-21-2003 12:33
Thank you very much for the info. I will check the AWS site out.
I am also going to go for the Level II under pressure. I need to act fast as the manufacturing company I am teaching at is looking at swinging the axe to cut costs again. We are considered value added, not added value so we will be first on the chopping block. Oh well, I can still tig and stick a tube, just not as fast and a much stronger cheater lens LOL.

Again Thanks

Mike
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 08-20-2003 18:40
SSBN, as you may have noticed from a reply I made to Monique, the axe has swund and I am now a product of our slow economy. My last day as a teacher for this manufacturing facility will be Nov. 4th. Back to work :)

Mike
Parent - By cmg (*) Date 08-23-2003 00:57
if you are a CWI you need to get certified as a welder and pay a fee of $305 if you are a aws member. i just got mine...its the same exam as the CWI with out the code section.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWE