Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Miller 450 Maxtron coolant flow error.
- - By ChesterFab Date 12-11-2019 20:32
My father owns a fabrication & mechanical shop here in my hometown and has been using a old hobart for some years now. My buddies grandfather has a miller maxtron 450 water cooled that he bought from a plant that closed in a nearby city. When he got it home he put it away never plugged it in and just sat it to the side until my father got his hands on it. The question is when we turn the power on an error code pops up and says coolant flow error. The welder did not come with a coolant reservoir nor pump. Is there anyway to bypass using the coolant option and just convert it to a standard? We rarely do any tig welding and if we do its probably just 2 hours tops of work. Is there a chip in the board possibly that we could bypass or remove? Or is there a way to remap the computer? We have never had a water cooled welder and it is very new to us. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! thanks
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-12-2019 16:34 Edited 12-12-2019 16:36
I had a few Maxtrons back in the day.... They were “old” and not supported by Miller when I took possession in 2003 !

So new boards are only going to be gotten by cannibalism or some weld supply place with a dusty 20 year old extra sitting in a dark corner.

Good clean CC/CV power supply.... Painfully difficult to program pulse waveforms.  Without the help if Bill Behnke I would have given up.

I think trying to find a way to bypass the error (if it shuts down the unit) or ignore it if it doesn’t.

There may be an old dinosaur engineer  at Miller who could solve your issue and offer instructions to get past the fault.

Before that.... get the part/code numbers for the thing and download the specific operator manual... it may have a gold nugget.

Maxtron is shockingly good for open root SMAW....
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Miller 450 Maxtron coolant flow error.