Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Out With The Old, In With The New
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-31-2019 21:58
As this year is quickly drawing to a close, I love to use the special holiday season for a time of reflection.  Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's brings in a natural progression of thoughts that helps promote that conscious exercise of evaluating the past to improve the future.

In our family run welding and inspections business, we have often taken the week between Christmas and New Year's to brainstorm and see what we did that worked and what we did that didn't work.  See how we can learn and apply the best of the working programs into a business plan, not just a New Year's resolution which is useless without a true plan, for the New Year.

Rejoicing in all things.  WOW, Yes, that does mean in unemployment, injuries, loss of loved ones, and many other things that we all too often use as a crutch instead of a learning and growing opportunity.  Then, count your blessings and rejoice in all the good.  Look around yourself here in the US as well as around the world.  We are SSSOOO BLESSED.  Start acting like it and be Thankful.

Knowing how and when to add personnel, equipment, training, renewing some certs while letting some go, adding certs that will actually enhance your resume, continuing education, speaking engagements, committee meetings, and trying to balance all the volunteer work for church and AWS with family and especially my wife.  Then, we have to pay for it all, that means, WORK.

I would like to encourage you to consider AWS for some volunteer work.  Even if you can't afford the time and money to travel for national meetings, get involved at the section level.  They need all the help they can get.  Get involved financially at all levels.  Get involved here on the forum.  There is wisdom and safety in a multitude of counselors.  Even if some of the counsel must be rejected, there is still a lesson to be learned.  Just like there are no stupid questions, there are no stupid answers.  BUT, there may be some misguided ones that need clarification and correction.  Each of us has been there.  Don't let Al, Garrett, or Lawrence scare you away.  They are just a bunch of teddy bears wanting a hug.  And me, I'm not scary at all.  Just a work-a-holic and information sponge.  My biggest problem is remembering things I learn.  It seems to be going out a lot faster than I can scoop it in.

Like it or not, we all need each other.  God gave mankind the ability to pool our knowledge and experience.  Yet we do so little with it.  We tend to sit back and let others reinvent the wheel. Mostly because we are afraid for our own jobs and reputation.  Why help someone advance ahead of us?  Because it is the right thing to do.  You may find that is actually what gets you ahead, helping others and not concentrating on self.

Well, off my soapbox.  All that to say this as the year nears its' end: May each and every one of you see your potential in the Almighty God and rejoice in all His Goodness toward us as we enter this New Year.

Have a happy, safe, prosperous, and productive year in this fabulous year of 2020.  You have 366 (yes, leap year folks) days to reach your goals.  Break it down into baby steps and start walking.  Make each one count.  When you slip back a couple, start where you are and keep going.

I know I am a bit early, but: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

IT'S GOING TO BE A GREAT YEAR!!  (he said in his best Tony The Tiger singing voice, if you don't know that one, look it up.)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-31-2019 23:31
Happy New Year Brent!
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-06-2020 12:34
Well spoken.
Good luck in 2020.
Tyrone
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Out With The Old, In With The New