Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Downloads from the bookstore
- - By fsirk (*) Date 01-11-2020 00:59
Just a fyi... I just paid a few hundred dollars for a downloadable version of the D1.5 and the software that is used for rights management (FileOpen) is absolute garbage.  I have spent hours now on the phone with AWS support and they were helpful to the point of helping me to view the file in Adobe but I CANNOT print the file.  I ordered the downloadable version because I needed it ASAP and now I'm screwed. 
DO NOT TRUST FileOpen.  If you're in a hurry you're better off trying to find one on craigslist, eBay or ???
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2020 03:11
I need to do some checking.  I know it says it is downloadable in the bookstore because I just looked.

BUT, I was pretty sure that due to so many issues with copyright infringement and people passing them around after downloading that they had stopped that and now you only got a version you could view online.  So, you must have internet access when you need to view your code.  You can only see it on one computer. You can only print x number of pages and I believe only once.  And other such restrictions. 

Nope.  I only use hard copies.  Besides, I'm too old school.  Give me a good book to read any day.  Computers are dumbing down our kids AND adults. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fsirk (*) Date 01-11-2020 03:31
I'm with you Brent.  I will always opt for the printed version.  I mark my code books up like a Christmas tree.  In fact, that's what I was after, I just needed it quickly so I thought I'd download and print it.  You're supposed to be able to do that.  The problem is with the software (FileOpen) that they use to protect the file.  At one point this evening I looked at downloading the software onto my iPad so that at least I'd have that available.  There were a dozen review for the software and every single one of them was on star.  It's abysmal. 
In the future I will only be ordering hardcopies.  Live and learn.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2020 05:00
I ordered a copy of D1.2 in digital while on a job in SC a couple of years ago.  Never got it.  Reason, I use the wrong...computer operating system??  I think that is the best way to describe it.  It only works with something I don't have.  May actually be part of your problem as well. 

Don't remember what it is designed to be used with but it doesn't tell you that anywhere.  Never did get my money back or a hard copy to make up for not being able to access the digital one.  Oh, and I couldn't have used the other anyway because I had limited access to internet and wanted to download it.  No go.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-11-2020 20:51 Edited 01-11-2020 21:02
I ordered an on-line version of a welding standard from AWS once, but never again.

I've heard tell that one can sand off the binding and scan the pages so its available on your computer and you can do with it what you please. Now I'm not advocating you to do that, it would be unethical.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-12-2020 00:33
Not as long as you don't sell it.  And, you really shouldn't give it to others.  But, YOU can do with it what you want.  Three computers, multiple copies, etc.  It is yours. 

My not so humble opinion.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-12-2020 22:18
I agree, the d/l versions are useless if your connection is lost during the d/l or something in the software goes haywire. AWS is of no use in trying to sort out issues with the d/l versions. There were times where I  didn't have time to order a printed copy any have it shipped in time to do the job...used the d/l version only to be frustrated.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 01-13-2020 19:27
I have purchased several digital copies over the years and have had zero problems. I agree that the FileOpen app can be hard to get past, but I've been able to save my digitial version and print out one hard copy with every code so far. One thing I don't like is that it won't let anyone else view the file, even if I sign in on their computer with my credentials. How do they do that?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Downloads from the bookstore