Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Ti X-Ray, Contamination Interpretation
- - By William T (*) Date 07-17-2003 19:18
We completed a butt welded field tie-in on 12" NPS X 0.180" wall, SB 862 Gr. 2 titanium. The joint was x-rayed (much more sensitive than our typical rt source IR192), and rejected for porosity and weld metal contamination. Porosity and contamination were confirmed when the joint was cut apart. The joint was re-welded before a comparison of the areas rejected for contamination on the film could be compared to the actual location of the white chalky areas of oxidation observed on the root side of the pipe. The repair X-rayed clean and was accepted. I have always been under the impression that titanium contamination due to inadequate purge, trail, or shielding gas could not be picked up by X-ray or gamma radiography. That visual inspection prior to cleaning or dressing the weld pass was the way to verify that the weld had or had not suffered contamination. I believe the contamination call by the NDE technician was a misinterpretation of the normal thickness variations associated with manual position welds. The x-ray magnifies this variation and the film can have a large range of density variation that has nothing to do with contamination. The NDE tech was comparing the contamination to sugaring in stainless steel. This comparison is totally invalid. Does anyone have experience where shielding related contamination of titanium was accurately interpreted through X ray or gamma radiography?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 07-17-2003 20:45
William:
A little more info would help before I post a "formal" reply.

1.) What type of shot was used?

2.) Tube-type, film-type, energy and shot duration?

3.) Single or multiple pass weld?

4.) Was there any discoloration other than the straw/gold in the suspect area?

Actually had a few more questions, but trying to keep it simple.

My only comments for the time being would be:

A.) If the technician picked it up and it was later confirmed by the RT, the sectioning of the weld is probably the best way to confirm the interpretation. I have had to cut up welds to confirm my calls numerous times in the past.

B.) If enlargement (or distortion) are an issue, these can be verified by checking the technicians math and technique.

C.) Multi-pass GTAW's have been known to hide the usual visual indicators such as the formation of oxides (surgaring - as you mentioned which is usually referred to in SS materials). This is particularly true if the part was welded in a chamber. The welder simply welded over these areas. But, this "garbage" is usually dragged through out the entire weld or a large portion of the weld (on smaller diameter tubes.)

Maybe another forum user can help out better than I can. I don't like to guess at these issues, that's how you lose jobs.
Parent - - By William T (*) Date 07-17-2003 21:58
Hi DGXL:

I don't have a copy of the report or the film with me. I'm at the head office the work is in the field. I did review the film.

The quality of film was excellant. Good definition, sensitivity and density. Extremely fine porosity was easily observed. I'm not concerned that the film has excessive enlargement or distortion.

However, I am told that the nature of shielding contamination/oxidation of titanium is such that it cannot be observed with x-rays. Titanium does not "sugar".

I was not able to verify that the contamination called by the NDE tech during film interpretation was in the same location as that seen visually before the joint had been re-fit and welded.

I personally believe that the contamination calls were the technicians attempt to explain density variations in the film that were nothing more than thickness variations probably upto 3/32" in places of the finished weld.

The work area, consummables, atmoshere was extremely clean. We believe the porosity was due to grinding with a stainless steel grinding wheel, dedicated to titanium use only, between passes. The only other contamination would have been due to inadequate shield.

Can contamination/oxidation of titanium caused by lack of adequate shielding be determined by x-ray?

The weld was 2 passes 5G. The outside of the weld was bright silver with a little straw on 3 locations, approx. 1/4" long about the joint. The root was a light straw with a couple of areas chalky white.

The purge was corrected and the root was inspected with optics with no discoloration observed. Cutting the joint for further testing is not an option.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 07-18-2003 00:12
William,
well at least we are in agreement over the terminology (sugaring).

I would say yes to contamination and/or oxidation of Ti could be visible on film. You also mentioned the overall quality of the shot was "excellent" and "chalky white" in the area of interest. I also agree that shielding (or lack thereof) could very possibly be the source of the problem. Shielding can be problems in the shop, and even more so in the field. [What about joint and filler metal cleanliness?]

Very fine porosity is typically not hard to distinguish in many materials (IMHO). The presence of oxides within a weld have been noted by a few VERY sharp technicians I have worked with in the aerospace industry. In fact this conversation has come up more than once.

More problamatic were technicians that would reject their own artifacts! In another post I noted small dia. Inconel tubing with "dummy" welds (they were placed to justify manufacturing costs). There was no weld joint whatsoever and some of the welds were rejected for incomplete joint penetration - go figure. I adamantly countered the techs. call, but ultimately lost to my supervisor who instructed me to throw in the towel, which I did.

I have seen my own Ti welds with a similar indication (density variations) on several welds back when I myself was the welder, not the interpreter. The companys' RT technician typically would let us review the film so when a "fix" was required, we could do the repair with some knowledge of the location and type of discontinuity present. Back then, I usually just noted the location because I had no knowledge of how to interprete radiographs, but some indications were obvious. After all, we all have a bad day now and then. Contaminated multi-pass welds were a bit more easily noted by a welder. That is why I asked about the number of passes. Single pass welds were another story. I had trouble back then discerning what the radiographer was calling. So, I (or my fitter) would just grind the rejected area.

Years later and several RT and RT Interpretation courses, years of looking at radiographs and the advantage of being under the hood I have seen contaminated Ti welds that were not obvious by visual methods. It really does take a trained eye and the knowledge gained repairing my own welds. Weld geometry (bead profile) can play tricks on the eye, I don't think there is a tech. out there that would argue that fact. I am assuming the technician has performed RT on numerous Ti welds or he/she would not be there to begin with.

Let me know how things turn out. I have not made any technical replies in this forum for a while, just general stuff, but this was a very interesting topic. Sorry I could not provide more definitive info.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-18-2003 02:32
Hi guys,

This is a very interesting and informative post. Please allow me to expand it a little by mentioning hardness testing (HT).
I have also been warned about over relying on RT to inspect Ti welds.
Perhaps that is because of the fact, as DGXL has clearly explained, that it takes a real RT tech to detect the slightest of density variances that indicate contamination, which many would not detect.
As an additional contamination detection method, Hardness Testing of Ti welds and haz has shown to be a cut and dry indicator of contamination.
Granted that in this case porosity was the overriding defect indication and negated the need for further NDE.
My point is that if a weld RT did not exhibit porosity or other obvious defects, but was rejected or questioned concerning contamination due to on an indication of density variations, the contamination could be verified or ruled out by HT.
In the case of a repair, HT could be also be used as part of the fit-up inspection to ensure the complete removal of contaminated material.

I'm curious about the cause of the porosity and contamination in this particular weld. As it has been explained that the work area, consumables and atmosphere were extremely clean. I wonder if the defects were caused by moisture in the shielding gas. Couldn't this be a probable cause for the extremely fine porosity?

Thanks for hearing me out. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Tim Gary
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-18-2003 15:54
While I can't speak to the question of chalky contamination appearing on film. This is indeed a good and *important* dialogue which many readers may find informative.

Since the chalky white oxide was verified (if I understand the posting thread), it's a good point to speak to. The hardness test is an excellent idea. If titanium has been contaminated to the point that a white chalk residue is apparent, there is little doubt that the metal beneath it is embrittled. Furthermore, since in this case the fouled area is in the root zone, all subsequent passes are likely to be embrittled also, unless corrective action was taken prior to subsequent filler passes.

Titanium (alpha-beta alloys) are soluble to atmospheric and surface contaminants at temps well below the liquidus temp.., Oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen being the commonest embrittlement constituents. As subsequent welds are applied the contamination will migrate as far as the heat will take it, which in heavy sections and multi-pass operations can be a significant distance.

While color is one indicator it MUST also be kept in mind that the amount of Oxygen, Nitrogen or Hydrogen exposure to the (molten puddle) necessary to render a weld brittle throughout is *less* than the amount of contaminant required to produce chalk or color. This means that even though only a small area may indicate chalk or color, a much larger area may be subject to contamination and embrittlement. Another reason to employ hardness testing in suspect areas. Since we are talking about root passes with full melt we can leave Alpha-case issues alone.

TWI, EWI and the Navy Joining Center have published extensively on this, with much data available online, and I'm sure others in this forum could also expand on the subject as well.

While titanium is relatively easy to join its always good to talk about big picture issues such as its sensitivity, behaviors and the importance of surface prep and shielding.

Great thread!
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 07-18-2003 19:29
William:
Your post has without a doubt received some of the best responses I have seen in a long time (not my own). I learned something from the comments by Tim Gary (Good reply Tim.) A very good lesson in physics was also posted by Lawrence.

Another post in the other forum by Alan Riddle was also pertinent and I am posting the thread below:

Well, if you have been following this subject, it has been a long time coming but we do now have a final report. The false indications created on RT film are commonly called "ghost lines" or "density lines." I like the ghost line one myself, because they aren't really there! Anyway, on Inconel materials, less than .060" thick, a condition called epitaxial grain growth occurs in the center of the weld. Enlarged grain size, dendrite formations running in a totally different plane and the presence of Ti and Al migration all contribute to "beam diffraction" during the RT exposure. This creates the false images commonly interpreted as lack of fusion in the weld. I want to thank everyone who assisted me in finding the answer to this issue. Special Metals and CBI especially. If you ever have a job like this one, tell the RT evaluators before hand that they will see centerline indications which look like lack of fusion. Then when they do read the film, they will take you seriously and think you are very very good and wonder "How'd he/she know that?"

Thanks again,

Alan

All that has been noted are appropriate and may be of some use to us all. A local aerospace company has had similar problems and had contacted me. It had come down to a question of the interpreters ability to read film. I think you may have a good interpreter, just more info on the indication and the sources of this type of indication are needed by everyone involved. Subtle variations in densities can be interpreted in many ways by different people. This is one very good example.

I noted above I have had to cut up welds to confirm my calls many times. We had the luxury of multiple parts which permitted destructive testing. This really puts the technician on the spot when they found there calls were incorrect - which is not the intent. The intent is to make accurate radiographic interpretations. Some of these radiographers do not want to touch my parts anymore because they say my projects are too difficult to interprete. Keep in mind I have knowledge of the joint configuration, process, WPS parameters, etc. The more you know increases the accuracy of the interpretation.

Originally William noted the presence of small pores and contamination were confirmed. I like the idea of the hardness testing to confirm the presence of undesirable oxides, but destructive testing would still be required to evaluated various regions of the weld and HAZ.

It has always been my understaning contamination of welds on these materials are due to:
A.) Foreign materials or substances on the base or filler metal. (The source may come from gloves, bench tops, dirty rags, etc.)
B.) Loss of or inadequate shielding. (If moisture was present in the gas, the entire weld would divulge this. I have had my purge dams come loose during welding but was not aware because my hood was down. Lots of sources for this problem as well.)
FYI: A bulk tank at an aerospace comany had been charged with poor quality gas resulting in a major lawsuit for numerous manhours and parts that were rejected. Very expensive mistake by the gas supplier.

Not only did the forum enjoy a very good technical problem, some excellent replys were posted. Hope we hear the final determination of the source of the problem, but also the disposition of the radiograph(s) in question.
Parent - - By William T (*) Date 07-18-2003 21:12
I'm pleased to have all the excellant feedback. But allow me to try to post the question I really want answered.

Hypothetical situation. Assume that cleanliness, base and filler metals, shielding gases, etc., all factors contributing to potential contamination are perfect. No possibility of any contamination other than clean air at 70F and 28% relative humidity. The purge fails and the titanium root pass suffers the effect. Other than the absorbed atmoshere the as-deposited weld is perfect. No internal flaws, no fusion problems and the reinforcement is perfectly consistent.

Can the resultant contamination due to failed purge be determined, accurately and repeatably, by reasonably competent technicians, with x-rays?

I must run now. But I will post some more info relating to received comments on monday.

Once again, thanks for the help.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-20-2003 00:46
I'll have to agree, this has been very interesting reading. I hope to get more exposure to the RT method of testing in the future. I'm more familiar with other testing methods due to the nature of work I'm envolved in, but that may change and the need for RT will certainly arise. I look forward to learning more of this fasinating method to further my knowledge of NDE. Keep the info coming, I'm trying to absorb this and keep up with all that is being discussed.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Ti X-Ray, Contamination Interpretation