Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / Another welders continuity Question.
- - By Quality0537 (*) Date 02-27-2020 01:22
This has probably been asked and answered already - but I cannot find a post directly asking this.

If a welder has been qualified using multiple plate or pipe tests and in different positions such as 1G, 2G, or 1GR or multiple weld types  1G, 2F, 2FR using all the same welding process - is there any requirement to show continuity to each weld type, joint type or position within the six month limitations?

I believe that it is sufficient that continuity is shown to the PROCESS Only - but have been in a debate with others who are trying to say that the one must show continuity to the process and position as well.

As section 4.2.3.1 indicates that Welders and Welding Operators. The welder's or welding operator's qualification as specified in this code shall be considered as remaining in effect indefinitely unless:

(1) the welder is not engaged in a GIVEN PROCESS of welding for which the welder or welding operator is qualified
for a period exceeding six months.
or
(2) there is some specific reason to question a
welder's or welding operator's ability (see 4.24.1).
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-27-2020 12:05
Yup, you quoted it in (1)...given process
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-27-2020 12:11
I agree with John and it appears with you as well.  There is only a requirement to demonstrate process use, not what positions are used. 

Now, that is per D1.1 and many codes.  What does your company QC and production manuals say? They will be your main determining factor. 

The next consideration would be what a customer has specified in contract documents.  They can state requal if they want to confirm ability of welders for any and/or all positions. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-27-2020 12:24
I answered a bit quick, but you merely need to document that a representative of your company has witnessed them using the process sometime within the last six months. I know fabricators document this in various ways, but it all ends up the same as long as it is documented. Some use a traveler that follows a piece through the shop and the welder applies his/her time to that traveler and that is proof enough, some actually fill out a continuity record(that was what I always did), others use their time card system, bar code or whatever. It's nice when you spell out how you document this within your quality manual. That helps an auditor understand that your company is trying to show the continuity in some manner.
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 02-27-2020 22:49
Also worth mentioning is the D1.8 Restricted Access Qualification, which can remain in effect for three years, provided  D1.1 six month continuity requirements for the qualifying process are met.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 03-01-2020 16:10
It is probably worth mentioning that the welding does not have to be to a code or standard, position, base metal, etc. The only requirement is that it be performed using the welding process for which continuity is being recorded.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / Another welders continuity Question.