Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The Myth of Inspecting Overseas
- - By Decker7778 Date 03-02-2020 19:21
Hello Everyone,

I am new to these forums so pleased to meet all of you welders and inspectors. I have a question? Have any of you had success as an inspector overseas? Like most of you, I have heard welders and inspectors talk about opportunities making over $200,000 working overseas (Saudi Arabia, Africa, etc...) I have tried all of the popular sites you might mention and have sent 100 resumes but I have heard nada. I am not green either, I am C.W.I., API and passed an NBIC with over 20 years of code welding under my belt. I suspect it is lightning strikes or who you know. I also think once you do get in it is easier. These jobs are dangerous as hell and I know that. I would just like to know if these jobs exist and how to get that job if it does in fact exist. Thanks everyone.

Decker
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 03-02-2020 20:59
There are jobs in continental US where you will make $200K and more as a welding inspector annually. There's is a whole market that pays in this range. You mention API (I'll assume Standard 1104) and that you have welding experience. I can tell you that I regularly receive resumes from people who have passed the CWI exam who have never had roles in welding inspection. I can offer none of these applicants a position. When a bid is awarded typically we then send in the resumes of each inspector who will support the project for that client. Many of which require 10 years or more of specific welding inspection experience. More important than passing a test to API/CWI is experience performing welding inspection to 49 CFR 192 & 195 and when applicable API/ASME depending on project scope. I'm not trying to be a buzz-kill here but to be in that price range a CWI card is a supplementary requirement. Welding experience is irrelevant. Typically someone entering this field with a welding background would start at a lower end inspection job such as NACE or Utility Inspector. Build relations with Chief Inspectors and Construction Managers and just grow from there. Not that it can't be done, starting high with your background (as stated) just very, very unlikely without connections. A CWI card without industry experience in inspection is usually considered entry level regardless of whether that individual welded for 30+ years or not, for some of the higher end paying jobs. If you got in with the right company at an entry level and performed well, listen and learn then opportunities would come quick for sure. If you are not receiving any interest in your resumes I would recommend more focus on Codes/standards you've worked to, inspection requirements of jobs you've worked on, welder qualification requirements and so-on.
Parent - By Decker7778 Date 03-03-2020 17:32
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The Myth of Inspecting Overseas