Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Flared Bevel - Fillet - Bevel
- - By AnthonyE. Date 03-20-2020 11:21 Edited 03-20-2020 13:15
we are fabricating a bracket that has a rolled plate to a straight plate connection. a lot of discussion has been created concerning the correct weld symbol. any input would be great.
Attachment: weld.png (6k)
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 03-20-2020 15:28
What's the applicable welding code?

This looks like a CJP

Depending on the radius of the rolled plate, you may be able to reduce the bevel degree on the attaching plate.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-20-2020 15:31 Edited 03-20-2020 15:34
Good Day Anthony,

From your sketch, I would consider it to be a single bevel groove weld with backing. 

It does not APPEAR to have enough of a roll to the plate to make it a flare bevel but one would not be totally out of line to designate it as such.  But, if you considered that side a flare bevel, and the other plate definitely has a bevel, that would make it a single bevel-flare bevel groove weld with backing.  Or, could be considered a V groove weld. 

Bottom line, on compound joint configurations such as this, it is best to just go with a detail that makes it clear what is required for the completed weld and not worry about what it is called or which weld symbol to use.  Just as with skewed joints beyond the code applicable degree of skew, it requires a detail all its' own. 

As Scott mentioned, the total joint configuration comes into play.  Allowable root opening, bevel angles, and such.  The bevel angle may be able to be reduced with the additional opening of the rolled plate.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-20-2020 15:37
I concur with Brent. I would be satisfied with a welding symbol calling out a bevel groove with backing.

Al
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Flared Bevel - Fillet - Bevel