Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Hypothetical Question
- - By SWN1158 (***) Date 05-06-2020 11:45 Edited 05-06-2020 11:48
If a qualified right-handed welder breaks his right hand, his right arm, or otherwise unable to weld, is he also qualified to weld with his left hand? The code has limits with regards to qualifying process and positions, but not the appendage used during qualification.

Asking for a friend :)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-06-2020 21:40
Yes.   Qualified in my opinion.

The code is silent on “handedness”

Your internal quality system can implement a distinction and implement it into performance qualification testing.  That would give it the authority of the code.

Qualification can also be withdrawn if welding performance is inadequate.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-06-2020 21:50
Personal sidebar.

I find myself switching hands constantly, in every process...

Best with SMAW... can walk the cup with both hands but hate feeding wire with my left hand with .035 GTAW !
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 05-06-2020 21:56
Thanks. I.... I mean, my friend, doesn't have an issue with it as long as the welder is making code compliant welds.

On a side note, I'm right handed, but I typed my response with my left hand, with no problems.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-07-2020 20:20
I've seen a welder that could weld just as good with left hand as he could with his right hand and he was DAMN good.
MG
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Hypothetical Question