Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ReferenceThickness
- - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 05-13-2020 08:24 Edited 05-14-2020 03:57
Hi Gents,
We have a partial penetration (S=21mm)  with  5 mm leg length joint configuration ; (Tee Joint - combination weld (partial pen + fillet weld)
As per Client requirements if thickness is more than 25mm NDT should be performed after 48 hours.
Client requirements about NDT  - "Final Non-Destructive Tests (NDT) shall not be carried out sooner than 48 hours after completion of welding for steels with MSYS above 295 MPa and thickness above 25 mm".

AWS D1.1 is a Code for respective subject. / Project Materials are S355 / NDT methods are UT.

Please see  information about reference thickness from Client requirements in attachment.

Could you please advise in our case what is the reference thickess 21 or 26 mm (21mm+5mm)
Attachment: Capture.PNG (35k)
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 05-13-2020 18:14
Without knowing what code you are working to, what your customer's requirements state, what material you are working with, or what form of NDT you will be performing, there is no way anyone can give you a useful response.
It appears you are needing to know if your customer's reference to material thickness is just the for base metal, or if it would include the thickness of the base metal + the thickness of the weld metal.
In my experience, most references to NDT and material thickness would only be for the base metal, you would not add on the thickness of the weld metal. Again, without more information this is probably not very helpful.
Parent - - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 05-14-2020 03:58
Hi WeldinFol,

I revised my post and added required information
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 05-14-2020 18:08
Two things:
--I see nothing in the client requirements that state you must perform UT on a PJP weld (this is not usually done, and would not be very effective)
--I see nothing in the client requirements that state you must include the weld metal as part of the thickness reference
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-14-2020 20:54
I'm with WeldingFool on this one.

You rarely UT PJP and when you do, the ground rules have to be established as to what the goal is.

The reference thickness is what we usually call "T" and in this case it would appear the client is telling you that the thinner member governs when the thicknesses of the members are different.

Al
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-15-2020 00:16
You have noted " S " (depth of PJP) but not total thickness of plate ?
That would be what your client would consider the " Referencing Thickness ".
Having said that I totally agree with the comments that PJP welds are very rarely tested by UT.
I think you should be getting clarification from your client.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-15-2020 12:45
Comments thus far are spot on.

IMNSHO, usually when UT is called on for PJP's, they are wanting to check to assure weld size has been achieved and that the depth of bevel, process and parameters, and operator technique have indeed succeeded in producing a weld with the desired strength. 

Also, the weld can be checked for soundness during this but it takes great care.  As D1.1 does not specify UT for PJP's nor provide any accept/reject criteria for such, agreement must be reached prior to provide documentation and criteria that all are comfortable with.  Job specs will need to specify what the criteria will be. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ReferenceThickness