Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shop Equipment
- - By louis2 (**) Date 05-19-2020 20:46 Edited 05-19-2020 21:34
I'm a welding teacher and my principal tells me he has about $5300.00 that I can spend for a new piece of equipment, but it has to be something new to my shop. I have the usual welders, stick-mig-fluxcore-tig, hand held torches, bandsaw, ironworker shear, 4' slip roller, bend tester, drill press, plasma cutter, cold cut chopsaw, 6" belt sander with 12" disc, rod bender, hydraulic tubing bender, oxy-acetylene track burner, oxy-acetylene pipe beveler, hydraulic press, air compressor and even a CNC plasma gantry that we built from a kit years ago.

We mostly weld on 1/8", 1/4" and 3/8" plate with a few odd sizes thrown in. We weld flat plate, tee joints, V's, groove welds with backing for AWS D1.1 and some open root plate. For tig we get into some aluminum and a little stainless also. We do not do that many projects anymore because of funding and time constraints so my project type equipment goes pretty much unused, but for the Project Based Learning assignments that are mandated by the state, two per year.

Is there any piece of equipment I have not mentioned that would fall into this price range you might recommend?

Thanks,
Louis
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-19-2020 22:32
How about a hydraulic notcher for making the fish mouth for pipe railing?

Al
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 05-20-2020 22:57
If I was looking for a cost effective pipe notcher I'd opt for the Baliegh TN250- strongly built and highly versatile.  If you don't already have a section roller Baliegh also has a hand/manual operated unit that functions well but their smallest powered unit is pricier.  Finger brake maybe to fill out the order and budget.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shop Equipment